Back to school 1970 vs 2014

You should see my 7 year olds public school.

3 Likes

Not in corn syrup, but definitely in flour. I guess I never really thought about what it was made of, but it does look mostly edible!

1 Like

True of course. But at least near me, a lot of the (not obviously exaggerated) parts check out. Also, a huge fraction of (at least white collar) parents start getting themselves on waiting lists for the “best” day-care programs the moment they find out they’re pregnant (or even before, though they’re not supposed too) since slots fill up years in advance. My high school guidance counselor (in the 90’s) knew parents who, in November of their kid’s kindergarten year, asked the teacher what kind of medical school they thought the kid could get into. Teachers really do ask parents to contribute classroom supplies, because schools only pay for enough to last part of the year and thereafter a lot of teachers have to buy paper, chalk, etc. with their own money (and this on Long Island, with some of the best-funded public schools you’re likely to find anywhere).

My ex-husband still has a huge box of his Micronauts, all the classic ones. He said he was saving them for when we had a son (we didn’t) but we played with them occasionally anyway. Baron Karza was always my favorite.

3 Likes

I forgot about the horsey micronauts.

1 Like

To be fair, there are a lot of really shitty daycare places out there. Some of the stories about local daycare places will make you long for America to switch to the Soviet daycare model.

And “2014” must be an over-the-top lampooning of the experience of some privileged Suburban hellhole, because my kids’ back-to-school ritual was more like the '70s one. And they’re the lucky kids; at least they didn’t have the indignity of going to some backpack giveaway program (locally, there are several, with huge turnouts) or having Mom and Dad drag 'em to Goodwill (which some locals have deemed “too fancy and too expensive”).

this is Mennonite country?

1 Like

Even more completely different is the one my cousin had [not my cousin in the pic]:

1 Like

It is interesting that neither Barbie RV is pink…
Wonder when the everything-Barbie-is-pink thing started?

Not sure, but by the early 90’s, it was all peptobismal.

1 Like

The preschool I taught at had a massive waiting list. I did, in fact, put my own child on there as soon as I knew I was pregnant. They probably would have made a space for me anyway, but sometimes it’s a factor of being able to get your kid in to anything at all that you can afford. This wasn’t some elite preschool with classes in Urdu and underwater basket weaving, this was a dinky YMCA with space for only 3 dozen kids.

[quote=“regeya, post:68, topic:39765”]
or having Mom and Dad drag 'em to Goodwill (which some locals have deemed “too fancy and too expensive”).[/quote]
A regular experience of my childhood was going to “Sally’s” (the Salvation Army thrift store) for clothing. Sometimes on the way back from the Monk Bread day-old bakery outlet.

We still shopped at Sears and Grants, but images of “Sally’s” picturesque squalor are burned into my mind to this day.

1 Like

This particular Ken doll - we gave as a gag gift to a gay co-worker back in the day:

2 Likes

If my daughter could find one of those, she’d be in heaven…

1 Like

4 Likes

Very cool – I thought that was Andromeda? Anyway, I had the human half of it.

1 Like

Karza and Andromeda came together, and they were magnetically joined in so many places that Centaur-Karza was a common configuration.

1 Like

I recall that Evel was made by Ideal, while Barbie and Big Jim were Mattel.

1 Like

P.S. It always puzzled me that the Micronauts had buttocks – but no genitals.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.