Back-to-school must-have: pink bullet-proof backpack

Do I have to page him every time? You know who to ask.

1 Like

I love their creme eggs.

6 Likes

You got a locker? Lucky. I went to school with 2000 other kids, took 5 classes a day, and each required its own books. I’m not joking, I carried them around in a frameless 60-liter REI hiking pack. I still own and use that backpack. It’s the real bulletproof piece of equipment for lasting these last 10 years.

2 Likes

A good pack is a foundational piece of kit.

2 Likes

It’s actually one of the first backpacks REI sold with “self-healing” nylon.

Essentially it’s heavy ripstop stitched nylon that frays an alarming amount at the site of a cut. The magic is, you mash the cut back together, and rub it for an hour or two, and the frayed ends tangle themselves up and you no longer have a slice but instead a furry patch.

2 Likes

Mine was a leather-bottomed Jansport with high school and two years of camp staff breaking in.

Gave it to my boy for the new school year. Nobody has one like his.

1 Like

Personal opinion: daily used tools make the best heirlooms. I know people get attached to china they use once a decade, or shiny things made of silver and brass, but I just like having a good knife, a good pack, and a good pair of boots.

3 Likes

Standard issue at Lucky Dragon I believe.

Weird sports you have in Murcia.

I wonder to what degree the concealed weapon and bullet proof clothing here lends itself to the police feeling they’ve no option other than to blow away kids. Who may be of darker skin than they are. And to turn out to be unarmed, but they were wearing a baseball cap, and who knows how many weapons that might have hidden.

1 Like

The police weren’t always trained to shoot first, ascertain threat later at the morgue. There’s people who’ve spent a considerable amount of effort working to destroy any civility within the police, and using training based on fear and aggression rather than de-escalation and treating people like humans rather than rabid animals.

4 Likes

Herb grinder?

1 Like

Daaaamn, did you go to School in a prison?! :smiley:

We just flailed our arms at each other at my school - none of the bullies were quite that resourceful.

“Honest miss, it’s for grinding my weed!”

1 Like

weighs just a few more ounces than non-armed backpacks

Wait, I thought this was an armored backpack.

Is this backpack packing?

2 Likes

My rent-a-fist wasn’t that strong. He had to augment with a weapon.
Pro tip: when the keys were in a small grey leather bag, they did not leave marks on impact.

We were a special selection school. Even the dumb kids were fairly smart. The one who was kicked out for bad grades was almost effortless straight As at a regular school.

(I avoided failing phys ed grade. Yes - that teacher was such a bitch that she was willing to get me expelled from the school for not being able to fit in the performance tables. Luckily a friendly doc was able, for a bottle of something good, to read the slightly ambiguous ECG in a way that got me exempted. Cheating can save your ass.)

I tore the books to smaller pieces along the spine, where their design allowed. Then glued them back together before handing them over at the end of the year. Bringing just the chapters needed lightened the load considerably.

Another trick I did back then was lining the edges of the flexi-binded books with transparent adhesive tape. They were much less likely to chew then, even when handled roughly.

Cadmium is annoyingly soft. In alloys, it is usually used to depress the melting point, and the low melting alloys as a rule are annoyingly soft. Generally, metals start softening at about 2/3 of their melting point, in Kelvin scale. One of those rules of thumb that has billions of exceptions (hi, indium) but is useful anyway.

Cadmium is fairly dense but lead is better and easier to get (when you’re in a pinch, salvage a car or UPS battery and melt the plates; my method for the UPS ones is here.)

Cadmium is also annoying to melt. Makes volatile oxides that are fairly toxic. Easy to handle in low-temp alloys (Wood’s metal and its ilk) when the temperatures encountered are low, but be careful around molten brazing alloys. There are fatal poisonings from cadmium-alloy brazing in unventilated areas. Cf. lead which is fairly safe.

Cadmium is fairly dense. You can use it for this purpose, as a weight when capped with e.g. stainless steel spike plate. (Thought: we could also use a piece of steel sheetmetal, drill holes, put in nails cut to shorter length, solder/braze/weld them in place.) But lead will do a better job. I’d choose cadmium if I’d have it on hand and didn’t have anything else.

1 Like

Oh, well, that’s alright then :laughing:

1 Like

Oh shit, I was about to buy this and then realized that my daughter’s only 2, and this backpack is too big for her! What should I do?? How do I keep her safe?!?

Looking on Google, I can only find this one Kevlar baby outfit, but it doesn’t look her style so that’s right out.

2 Likes

Well this is my kid, yeah they get lockers for grade/middle school.
I went to a special k-8 traditional thing for grade school so we were stuck in the same room all day. I got out for advanced math and advanced whatever (they told me 3 months into 8th grade, hey you can go to the smart kids school and I was like umm okay for less than a year? no thanks)
I didn’t have a locker till high school and that was a smallish school for math/science dorks.

1 Like

Colombia! It’s a common misspelling.
(403 error at the link. In German. Some Carmen Sandiego shit going on right there.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.