Bad food, low spirits plague Mar-A-Lago's declining membership

Sound like it’s heading into low food and bad spirits! And you can take that last term as disgruntled club members or malevolent apparitions. Or both. He deserves it.

2 Likes

ewan-mcgregor-point-laugh

He’s no longer president is why… and he’s leaving under a cloud of scandals, up to and including trying to overthrow the government

6 Likes

You love to see it. It’s just part of the constellation of financial woe that’s hitting Trump right now/in the near future. Dude’s totally screwed, by all accounts.

It wasn’t about the politics, it was about the access to power.

“…they no longer want to have any connection to former President Donald Trump…”

I think the key bit there is “former.” They didn’t care what he did so long as he was president and they got to have access to him. They could sway public policy or overhear him drop some non-public information they could use for insider trading, or get a pardon, even. Or just get to be close to “the president,” for the illusion of power it gave them. Now he’s a nobody, but with a lot of unwanted attention focused on him.

Huh, yeah, apparently they have some reciprocal agreement between the two clubs, about using the facilities of the other. I had no idea Mar-a-Lago wasn’t itself golf club, and that it was in the middle of kind of a built-up area - I assumed there was some space around it. That must add to the expense of Trump staying there, as they have to drive him 5 miles every time he wants to play golf, closing roads, etc.

8 Likes

A story about this appeared on Daily Kos, along with a video of some stupid party they held there. I’ve been bored AF attending friends’ birthday parties when we were little girls, but they were far more exciting than what they showed. There wasn’t a single person I’d want to speak with, unlike here and Kos.

What about the roving squads of hepatitis macaques and bedbugs?

nobody minds those?

5 Likes

Luckily with Florida they just means leaving them alone. Nature will swallow places whole down there with enough neglect.

6 Likes

Plus the feral constrictor snakes.

3 Likes

I’m just going to venture the uncharitable guess that a lot of these people have decided that they would rather become disinterested in politics than be fans of a losing team; and were rather less not-interested previously.

They may even have been sufficiently steeped in the (not uncommon) theory of “me getting what I want is just how things are; deviations from that are politicizing things” that there position is sincere in the shabbiest possible way and they don’t see cozying up to power as a political act unless someone who isn’t them is doing it.

4 Likes

If anyone asks, I tell that that I don’t need golf; I’m already boring.

3 Likes

Classic case of rats leaving the sinking ship.

3 Likes

Have you tried it? It’s a fun game and a nice bit of mild exercise, provided of course you don’t use a cart to get around the course, that shit is just decadent.

I also personally dig the landscaping aspect.

The people I’ve met on the course though, that’s another story. Rampant bigotry and elitism. I used to play with a friend who has dreadlocks to his ass and we literally never had a round without being harassed in some way.

7 Likes

I don’t think the macaques are an issue, but there’s a big, whiny plunder monkey infesting the club now.

7 Likes

he could always reinvigorate the place with some fresh membership…if he could stand to be in the same room with any of his real supporters. maybe offer group discounts? and everyone could wear the official uniform of red hats and brown shirts.

3 Likes

No one wants to stick around for the Mar-A-Jonestown phase?

7 Likes

I play and I often (90% of the time) have no choice but to be paired up with obvious Trump fuckheads because the public and semi-private courses are overrun right now due to Covid. I play with a buddy who is a fellow Lib and we have a few rules:

Never talk about Trump or any of it.

Keep our distance and stay upwind of them, due to Covid.

Don’t deviate from the inherent courtesy of golf, unless it’s clear we need to speed up. Then, someone needs to say “We are playing ready golf now, so shoot when ready. Don’t hit anybody in the head. Haha” or something to that effect.

Otherwise, its game on. Golf is fun. Get to be outside for 4 hours. Get to hang out with my 1 good friend in my Covid pod.

I agree with your suggestions about changing how golf clubs work and giving people more options. The higher end ones, which I can’t afford, DO have fitness and family fun centers for kids. The public and semi private courses generally do not. It would be fun to see more putting courses and par 3s spring up.

Golf is so stodgy and traditional that I do not see it ever changing.

4 Likes

Saying this out loud is hilarious.

4 Likes

I didn’t realize feral primates were in the mix of invasive species in Florida until now.

Imagining Mar A Lago infested with them makes me think of the ending of Aguirre, Wrath of God

4 Likes

A more fitting end to the ex-president and his family I couldn’t imagine.

2 Likes

I would like to imagine that if Biden returned it, he’s had it re-engineered so it just plays sad trombone and no coke arrives.

6 Likes

Or maybe a synthesized voice saying ** “HOMING SIGNAL ACTIVATED. DRONE STRIKE IMMINENT.” **

3 Likes