Badass Dragon Scavengers of the Void - Round 8 - Strangeways, Here We Come

Cold, crustacean, cold.

My kinda bug!

9 Likes

Professor,

Time is precious. As we saw last mission, getting the Coleridge repaired gives all of us more options. If we hadn’t gotten the Coleridges Replicators and Fabricators working again, the Star Guardians and Scholars would not have been able to buy more equipment, and everyone would have suffered more damage.

Since we don’t know what is coming next, we need Coleridge at full functionality. Soon.

That said, you are quite beat-up, Professor. Losing a Scholar of your stature would be a bigger blow than losing a spare Warden.

My suggestion is to give the RED to the Coleridge, pronto, and save your gold for now. You can decide later if it is more efficient to buy repairs or use your gold on yourself.

Whatever you decide, please do so quickly.

Thanks,

“The foundation of success in life is good health: that is the substratum fortune; it is also the basis of happiness. A person cannot accumulate a fortune very well when he is sick.” P. T. Barnum

–Philosolobster

4 Likes

@old - Princess, did you make the mistake of watching ancient videos while eating your ice cream?

1 Like

Uh. I don’t think I want any more ice cream.

Ok. Maybe one more bite.

7 Likes

One small correction.
@wisconsinplatt has the handle “Rocky Road” and is a Warden.

Thank you for all of your hard work keeping the ship going.
–Philosolobster

3 Likes

Entirely so. Fixed!

1 Like

Dear @Kassandra,

For the good of the ship and its inhabitants (of which I am one), please accept my stash of RED and proceed with the additrional repairs that need to be made to the Coleridge.

I’mma keep my GOLD for the time being, as I need some damn repairs as well.

Cheers,
“Professor” Omicron Nu Pi, PhD

4 Likes

“Your dogged pursuit of science is commendable, Doctor. May I call you Puppis? To be perfectly honest, I’m equal parts excited and nervous about this little experiment as we haven’t had sufficient time to evaluate the potential complications this could introduce. The RED matrix is entirely unlike the others in that…”

[As Kassandra continues to babble, bots juggle the RED node like a hot potato as they wrestle it down into the bowels of the ship. Some minutes later, the ship experiences a full blackout. Just as you begin to assume the worst, all systems power back up. Lights flicker sporadically as you hear the dynamos spin up and down as they fail to find equilibrium. (+200Ʉ, GLO+2)]

DSV_Coleridge damage report (updated):

Main Power: Online
Replicators: Online
Fabricators: Online, PARTIALLY DAMAGED
Repair Bay: Online, PARTIALLY DAMAGED
Long Range Sensors: Online
Engines: Online, DAMAGED
Life Support: Online
---
Primary Coleridge Persona:  RECOMPILING

“…well this should certainly be interesting.”

2 Likes

##RED Analysis

So the Professor’s RED had the following effectss:

Fabricator:           Damaged --> Partially Damaged
 Engines:     Severely Damaged -->           Damaged

Suggesting

(1) RED is worth either 2 or 3 GOLD
(depending what it takes to go from Severely Damaged to Damaged) and,

(2) we may be within four GOLD, or two RED, from having the Coleridge fully repaired.

##Round 8 - Mission Options
"Right. We’re generating some thrust with the engines, but that thing is in motion and has a head start because were were blind for so long. Physics being what it is, we could be in for a rough go here in a bit. I think we have one more chance at that monstre before it catches us. Make it a good one, yeah?"

Idle Fee: 75Ʉ
"You know? It might not be a bad idea to sit out a run if you’re feeling sparky. Have to charge you for it, 'cause thems the rules."

Misison 1 - Dorsal Finder
"The other access orifices have been sealed - but thanks to the Diggers, we still have access to a few entry points of our own making. Get inside, get that goop, and get back here in a hurry."

Cost: 15Ʉ
Salvage: Five opportunities: Fair chance of dangerous salvage, great chance of BLUE, small chance of GREEN/GOLD
Risks: Flailing pseudopods (20-40HP based on DEF)

Mission 2 - Reconnaissance Flight
"Access orifices may have been sealed, but plenty of others are opening up - problematic, not to mention disgusting. All sorts of creepy-looking things are coming outta them. If we’re gonna get a handle on what we’re up against, someone needs to get a closer look."

Cost: 15Ʉ
Salvage: Two opportunities: good chance of BLUE, small chance of GOLD, (SEN+SCI)% chance of special intelligence to improve options in the next round.
Risks: 2x Close-range attacks (10-25HP based on DEF: (EVA)% chance to avoid, (EVAx2)% chance to avoid for Recon)

Mission 3 - Eyes Are The Prize
"That thing has turned to face us and we’ve discovered our theories have been right all along: it’s as ugly as sin. We’ve got a chance to get in there and do to it what it did to us."

Cost: 10Ʉ
Salvage: Two opportunities: great chance of blue, (POW/2)% chance to put out an eye and recover GREEN, GOLD, or RED
Risks: Defensive response (15-35HP based on DEF, %EVA chance to avoid)
SPECIAL: Take this mission up to three times! Each represents a separate pass at the face and an attempt to blind one of the eyes. Each mission attempt has the same juice cost, the same risks, and the same potential reward. +1 GLO for putting out an eye.

Multiple passes are signified by multiple inclusions of the line MISSION 3 in your orders - one pass per line (see below for clarification)

Misson 4 - Keel Hauler
"Now that we know what we’re looking for, we can see that the underside has reasonable deposits of BLUE that are easy to get at. Easy-ish. Slip in there and get you some, but watch out for those leg things. They’re pretty agitated."

Cost: 30Ʉ
Salvage: Two opportunities: Small chance of dangerous salvage, great chance of BLUE, very small chance of GREEN.
Risks: 5x Struck by appendage (3-7HP, EVA% chance to avoid)

##Company Store
"Repair bay is fussy, but at a point where it can help some of you out. You may want to consider using your own GOLD or even RED nodes on yourselves in the meantime. I mean, I’ve tried it and I’m !~ ~ o ~~~ ~! totally fine."

45Ʉ Repair_Kit (HP+20)
 30Ʉ Armor_Plates (HP+10, MaxHP+5)
 45Ʉ Laser_Auger (POW+5)
 25Ʉ Chemistry_Set (SCI+2)
 40Ʉ Riot_Shield (DEF+3)
 45Ʉ Swan_Wing (EVA+4)
100Ʉ Eagle_Wing (EVA+10)

##Unused Gear (available in limited quantities)
30Ʉ Mag_Boots ( DEF+3 EVA-1 )
65Ʉ LIDAR ( SEN+5 )
50Ʉ Impact_Gel ( DEF+4 )
35Ʉ Optical_Inferometer ( SCI+3 )
50Ʉ Impact_Gel ( DEF+4 )

“Entirely fair point, Mister Ass. I’d assumed that anyone with a healthy disregard for personal safety, a reckless streak, and a … stubborn can-do attitude would have chosen self-preservation over the common good. Smearing that RED on your suit will do a heck of a lot more than the Coleridge can do for you at this point. Unless…are you in it for the glory, Tex? Well, shut my I/O port and call me silent! You are a wild card!”

“Life comes at you fast, you know? I’m picking up what you’re laying down, and if all this sounds a little snarky it’s only because I was bootstrapped to sentience this way. Ball’s in your court, cowboy.”

2 Likes

“Just look at how many of you are still alive! We should have a party!”

CURRENT STATUS:      ACTIVE
    ORDER PROCESSING:    ONLINE
    SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 2017-03-12 19:00:00 -0400
    INCARNATION:         0x0d93e1b58685b02f1600910c7696bdfb198ec604

This perhaps, is a little too soon. Look. Everyone is still blubbering.

3 Likes

Anybody got any GOLD left to throw at the Weapons system?

I do not, I’m on thin ice as it is, sorry everyone, gotta use my gold on me this round.

@messana
Several clarifications, please.

For Mission 3, how does one indicate in the orders that one wants to embark on MIssion 3 more than once?

Also, if one does take Mission 3 twice, the cost is 10U + 10 U = 20U, right?

Sounds like a job for a digger to poke out some eyes. Anyone want to join in on the fun?

@Kassandra
BUY Armor_Plates
BUY Armor_Plates
BUY Armor_Plates
MISSION 3
MISSION 3
END

2 Likes

“Roger that, gwwar! Your orders now on file for this round are:”

✔ buy armor_plates
✔ buy armor_plates
✔ buy armor_plates
✔ mission 3
✔ mission 3
1 Like

Excellent questions. Multiple inclusions of the line MISSION 3 will work, one per pass. @gwwar has it exactly in her orders above.

Correct - 10Ʉ for one pass, 20Ʉ for two passes, and 30Ʉ for the maximum of three passes. Mission options above have been updated to clarify.

1 Like

For you, potato boy, GOLD is worth 91 HP of repair. At the current repair rate of 60U for 20 HP, applying GOLD to yourself is worth 273 U. That’s huge. So yeah, go for it.

But let the record show, the first scavenger to use gold personally rather for the greater good is mister “why did the crew leave me behind for 550 sols.”

Coincidence?

“Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.” Martin Luther King, Jr.

–Philosolobster

p.s. Is anyone else confused which 19th literary work we’re trapped in: Rime of the Ancient Mariner or Moby Dick? Thank Sentience the ship isn’t called the Pequod – or Essex

6 Likes