Baking thru the pandemic: The Muffaletta is my second favorite sandwich

No, not likely. About the cheapest I’ve found just doing a quick search even at the worst possible time (Aug when it’s 1000 degrees there) it’s like 160 each way.
I don’t think he was being serious… New Orleans is one of the first places I want to go in the next year if lockdown is over. Kauai first, tho.

One thing @jlw - I would love to see the measurements in grams. I know I can convert them, but I like to see recipes that have been tested with weighted measures. I find my bread is most consistent this way.

NOLA is my hometown. I was supposed to go the last week of March for my mother’s 75th. I had planned on going to Central Market while I was in town.

1 Like

@jlw

waits patiently for answer, understands that it may wind up being a different thread

4 Likes

That picture makes me hungrier and more homesick than I’ve been since my corona shutdown began. Looks fantastic

As much the location as the food – the last time I got a muffaletta in the courtyard at the Napoleon House it was pretty fantastic.

That sounds familiar. My mom’s 73rd was the second week of March. It was the last time I made it back. Best sandwich that weekend was the Crabby Jack’s fried green tomato and shrimp remoulade po-boy

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that you had to miss that. That’s a serious bummer.
It’s a beautiful city, I’ve been a couple times and love it.

The single best meal I ever had was a duck debris po-boy in a restaurant near the waterfront in NOLA.

So ridiculously rich and unctuous, with delicious salty melt in your mouth meat…

Also at Mother’s (not where I got the duck debris po-boy), I saw the servers swearing at a priest (wearing the collar and all)… Not related to sandwich quality, just funny.

1 Like

Did I miss it? What’s your favorite sandwich?

What’s the favorite sandwich?

Every pre-made tapenade I’ve ever seen has been so crazy over-priced compared to that of throwing the ingredients in a food processor (which is easier than, say, baking bread), that I don’t see why “homemade tapenade” was the recipe’s big hurdle that had to be solved by finding a store that would send the stuff. Googling tapenade recipes yields results no more onerous than any number of other products people think nothing of making when they decide they need some.

1 Like

You’re lucky – and so are we to get them (Chicago-based Potbelly chain sells them). On the other hand, Chicago-based Jays got bought by Pennsylvania-based Snyder’s of Hanover, and they’re just not the same (in particular the Hot Stuff chips have been downgraded to “Slightly Zingy BBQ”

Austria is currently suffering from a yeast shortage. How’s the situation elsewhere?

(well, it’s not like there’s less yeast available, it’s just that more people are baking at home, and production couldn’t ramp up quickly to follow demand)

P.S.: Toiler paper was only a problem for a couple of days. Already around March 20th I’ve seen more toilet paper in stores than I’ve ever seen before in a single place.

Is there a similarity to a Shooter’s Sandwich? There’s a same sort of compression thing going on.

1 Like

I am not a steak eater, but I agree with the one-box: that stands top-hat, head, and shoulders above other sandwiches, especially in the U.K.

Yeast shouldn’t be an issue if bakers are using a sourdough starter, but it would be more of an issue for every other type of bread i presume. I havent tried baking bread just yet mainly because i’m in the middle of a move to a new apt, i really have no idea what the flour and yeast situation looks like where i’m at.

3 Likes

And i’ll have four fried chickens and a coke

3 Likes

Muffaletta… the sandwich that sounds like it should be in “Bohemian Rhapsody”

2 Likes

Muff-a-lett-a
Muff-a-lett-a
Muff-a-lett-a let me go!

Beelzebub has some Hormel set aside for me!

4 Likes

This is one of my pet peves. What flour? What season is the flour harvested, which reagion of the US or Europe is the flour from.

All of those have different “Gram weights” for a ‘cup’ Yes…if a recipe calls for a particular brand of flour sure. However USDA bread flour is 127 grams a cup. While Gold Medal flour is 135. While King Arthur claimed it’s Bread Flour was 137…or 120 or 115 depending on when you ask them.
https://www.weekendbakery.com/cooking-conversions/

I mean sure if you have a recipe you’ve used with a particular flour from a particular company/region and it works. Yeah…weight is a good way to go…unless you live in a humid place and weight might be off a bit.
But whatever works for you is what works…but even the experts can’t agree what a ‘gram weight’ of a cup of bread flour is.

2 Likes

A related issue: flour in the States has a tendency to need a bit more water/liquid than the same type of European flour, when mixing the dough. (I don’t know for other areas of the world.)