Baraboo High Schoolers give Nazi salute at junior prom

Hey don’t be cruel to the invertebrates.

4 Likes

Weren’t they covering this? :wink:

3 Likes

Oh Pete Gust is quite a character

WheelMemories is a photographic services business run by the Family. Elizabeth, Thor & Matthew provide the incentive and I do all of the work.

we see you Pete

3 Likes

8 Likes

Yes but they don’t care, they think they are a part of an important revolution in thinking that will make life better for them. They’re usually wrong but they also don’t tend to care about that. Not much difference between them and kids who actually aspire to join another violent gang except society is hostile towards gangs that aren’t whites only while being tolerant if not downright friendly to white supremacist gangs… especially if they’re also enclaves of wealth.

9 Likes

Fortunately the font used by Dale Earnhart fans is different from the Gothic favored by Nazis.

3 Likes

Wow. Jordan is a kid whith his head screwed on straight.

Let’s hope there’s more like him.

13 Likes

The Baraboo High School logo bears some resemblance to a Nazi Imperial Eagle.

1 Like

I’m a white dude who grew up in a comfortably middle-class suburb but I’m pretty sure that at no point in my life have I ever been photographed in a group of people that was even close to that white. Is this what most of Wisconsin looks like?

10 Likes

We should eventually joke and openly mock racism and racists as absurd. Optimistically I think many kids think racism is funny because it’s so unreal to them. A handle full of them don’t get the joke and assume that racism is normalized among their peers.

Unfortunately racism a real thing that many people seriously partake in. Those people range from naive and ignorant, to profoundly dangerous individuals.

I guess if you’re going to play at jokey racism, expect it to sometimes not be well received. But you know how people are, if we demand they apologize to the community, most of the kids will act all butt-hurt. Comedy has consequences when you fail at it.

These kids certainly have their salute variants nailed. The second is doing the salute for being sworn in, when taking the oath to Hitler.

The photographer is claiming that he “just told them to wave.” Is this remotely credible? All these boys are holding their hands flat out. It seems very difficult to believe the photo just caught them all “mid-wave”. And who waves with their hand far ahead and with tilted forward?

8 Likes

Right. Like I said in the previous statement above, even if the guy was playing the circle game, it is pretty hard to defend when you are surrounded by guys giving the salute. If it was a gaggle of guys doing “funny” or rude gestures and that was among them, then the context suggest less malevolent intentions.

1 Like

Not all of it is this diverse.

15 Likes

re: circle gesture. I’d rather think of it like this:
Be seeing you!
–And you!

I’ve noticed I add a picture in many of my replies. I think it’s because I started my undergrad career in fine art, and tend to think in images.

9 Likes

Makes me think of that section of Triumph of the Will, where Hitler is asking about geographic representation among the troops.

“Milwaukee”
“Madison”
“Eau Claire”

4 Likes

Know what would be a fun project? Tracking these kids over the next several years and arranging to send this photo to every decision-maker they encounter, be it college admissions, romantic partners, business contacts, or potential employers.

Make them explain this decision away every single time they want something good, or alternatively, limit their options to those available within a small (but sadly not small enough) sympathetic sphere. Make them work doubly hard to get past someone’s first impression of them.

In short, revoke their white male privilege.

12 Likes

If that was intentional, he’s a well educated Nazi, as I haven’t heard of that until now.

It was always real. It was designed by white nationalists to identify white nationalists. That they claimed it was meant as a joke doesn’t change that underlying truth.

11 Likes

Yes, geographically.

Baraboo High School Class of 2018! Going to all the colleges, getting all the jobs, saluting all the Hitlers. I wonder how many of these kids will be asked, where are you in this picture?

3 Likes