Barbara Walters tells Corey Feldman "you're damaging an entire industry" when he warns of Hollywood abuse

Yeah. I read that tweet and realized I’m pretty sure we’re living in a simulation and whoever is running it is just really fucking with us right now.

12 Likes

It really is as good an explanation to all of these things as anything else is.

5 Likes

Hard to believe Tom Hanks didn’t know what was going on.

1 Like

He may have been aware of his reputation but may not have seen it first hand. Tom Hanks has always had a reputation being being clean and being the nice guy so i doubt Weinstein would think that he’d be interested in his lecherous behavior in women. I’m speculating obviously, if Tom Hanks knew for a fact of what was going on should he have said something? Yes absolutely, but it seems that most of Hollywood knew something. They all probably did nothing because in their eyes Weinstein was untouchable, but now that it’s out there i don’t see why we need to lay the blame on those speaking out in support of the accusers unless they actively were helping Weinstein. And i highly doubt Hanks was actively helping him.

4 Likes

Exactly and the article I linked to quoted Hanks and Tarantino, both of whom should have had enough of a reputation to be able to speak out without compromising their careers.

6 Likes

It seems the industry didn’t need Corey’s help for damaging itself.

2 Likes

I am not. That’s the same shock that led so many actresses to shut up for so long: the feeling that you are powerless.

3 Likes

People with money, power, and fame need to be sternly and greatly demoted. We must do everything in our power to bolt there feet to the ground so that they operate under the same laws as everyone else. Tax them 95%, take their money, use the law to take their power, and make celebrity a negative credit.

3 Likes

I am not so sure, Weinstein had more pull in Hollywood than Hanks ever could. But then again i’m not here to defend anyone, just saying that i understand people’s reticence to speak out and i’m just glad that it’s finally out there and i really hope this drags out more scumbags that need to stopped.

Honestly i’ve been low key seething over this news since it broke and the Barbara Walter things is a bit too much for me, i think about it and it just pisses me off.

3 Likes

Ron Fucking Swanson!

It is greatly disheartening that seemingly every facet of human existence is rife with inhumane abuse and exploitation.

Many days, I’m mortified that this is the species which I belong to*.

* Dangling preposition is intentional; it looks/sounds awkward the correct way.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I think I need to introduce you to a like-minded online homie of mine who first got me hip to Akala…

2 Likes

I’ve been having fun lately watching reaction vids on Youtube of people hearing him for the first time. The facial expressions are priceless. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just want to point out how unsurprised I am that US citizens express their righteous indignation over an issue like this (don’t get me wrong, this is very important), but are completely tone-deaf about Kaepernick’s protest over our messed up system.
Ok, back to ranting about Hollywood.

9 Likes

What gives you the impression that people here don’t care about that? Also how does he relate to sexual predators in Hollywood?

Perhaps your experience living in the USA has been different, but I grew up in Kansas, and as a result, the reactions I get from people I know is generally those who are trying to discredit Kaepernick for his protest. At least 25% of my facebook circle are vocal against Kaepernick, but there are likely more who aren’t speaking up. Facebook is necessary to me because there is not really any other common communication between our high school classmates. Whether they are conscious of the real reasons Kaepernick’s protest originated is a mystery. On the flip side, they appear to be fully invested in the Weinstein story.

I feel that intersectionally, they are related through the power and protection of the patriarchal system that controls business (in this case entertainment media) and government (through lopsided protections for white males in both police and politics).
I believe the same overarching (white) patriarchal forces that allowed for slavery, oppression, and erasure of history also created a system that supports misogyny and repression of women or other underrepresented people in the workplace. I also feel that it is felt most acutely in industries like filmmaking/television and sports media.
Intersectionality, because it is all related.

11 Likes

Really, who’s paying you?

Boys have no stake in the game and thus can turn a blind eye to stuff that makes them “uncomfortable” instead of being concerned for those who end up sometimes downright suicidal, or at least, a heck of a lot more “uncomfortable” than them.

1 Like

Corey Feldman deserves to be acknowledged for being one of the few to have the courage to stand up and bring attention to the sordid Hollywood underbelly of monetarily privileged predators. He received such little support from those who knew better. Who remembers how much the bought off media ridiculed him? I for one see Corey as a hero, he warned everyone as much as he could. He honored the memory of his friend. Much gratitude to this brave human. A true trailblazer.

7 Likes