Barbie's Ken is now sporting a manbun

This is (one reason) why Ken is always ••••ed by GI Joe.

Somehow he always manages to be the douchiest of each decade.

1 Like

6 Likes

8 Likes

American masculinity is so fragile that whenever something traditionally associated with women is either something that marketers want to sell to men or something that is starting to crop up more naturally, it must either be slapped with a more mach label (even if that’s just adding the name to it like “man purse”, although the examples from these two are prime examples of the more extreme marketing) or derided as fringe and weird (note how useful the creation of the idea of the hipster has been for this). Both seem to be happening to the “man bun”.

5 Likes

Just Americans?

6 Likes

Good point. No, but that’s who i have enough knowledge to somewhat speak about.

4 Likes

Do you think a person who uses the term “man bun” is a misogynist.

Do you think it’s necessary for the speaker to be a misogynist for them to speak misogynist words?
It’s the same divide that Jay Smooth talks about here;

2 Likes

But mom jeans was also a pejorative, until it became “ironic”.

4 Likes

I do not. But I think it very rare for anyone in this society not to have racist and misogynistic feelings within them, just because it’s so ingrained. It was a big eye opener when I discovered these in myself, and that discovery doesn’t make those impulses go away. It’s what you do with them that matters.

2 Likes

That annoys me so much! Not unlike with “meggings”, “romphims”, and other such daft things. It’s like a corny buzzword for embarrassingly insecure people. Do these people put on some mants and sneakhims before they go out in their automoboy?

2 Likes

Not really, they are also calling attention to which well of traditions the participants are drawing from. Traditions are not universal, obviously - but I find that people seem to often forget this from even one minute to the next. So indexing traditions, roles, etc to specific cultures, regions, and times serves a useful conversational purpose.

What is on this doll I would refer to as a topknot, rather than a bun. I think that topknots on women do look similar, it’s just that they are seldom referred to as being a bun unless they are more “shaped”. YMMV

1 Like

And I understand that. As others have said, I think it’s a simple way of distinguishing the sloppy sort of topknot hairstyle worn by a specific type of hipster dude, rather than being misogynist by separating two different kinds of ‘bun’ hairstyles. By no means am I being misogynist by referring to a hipster with a 2016-era topknot as a guy with a man-bun.

Nor am I being misogynist by referring to a purse specifically designed for men to carry as a man-purse, as a way of distinguishing it from other kinds of bags carried by men.

I know that you have very different ideas about gender than others, but in this case, it’s not something for anyone to be offended by.

3 Likes

Real hipsters use rotary phones.

2 Likes

No beard. But now I want a line of religious barbies and kens.

1 Like

4 Likes

Damn! Those pants are sooooooo sexy! /Xtreme sarcasm

1 Like

I wanted unlicensed Horrorpops knockoff Barbie.

4 Likes
1 Like

this is absolutely true, and multiple studies support this fact. It actualy took me working at Wikimedia (where, as one would expect, they are very much about equality and tolerance!) and talking to folks who educate on this stuff daily for me to really step back and realize I needed to mentally vet all my interactions, because yes, I learned stuff as a kid that is automatic now (“Hey guys!” “You throw like a girl!” etc.) that really do need me to stop and think about to change.

Step 1 really is realizing you need to do this.

5 Likes