BARR COVERUP: Mueller told A.G. he failed to capture ‘context, nature, substance’ of Trump Russia report

tumblr_inline_pqpy3cHNM41sviztv_540

16 Likes

Bob should just be bold and release his version of his report to the NYT and the whole thing will be moot. I know it will change his life forever, but isn’t that what he did when he signed up for Vietnam? Put it all on the line for the country? He’s the only person anywhere near the DOJ with the credibility to do it. It would shove Rump on his ass.

12 Likes

Frankly, I don’t see how Mueller’s letter in any way indicates naiveite on his part and on his appointees. Can any reasonable person expect an impartial probe to include a pre-release letter to Barr stating, “Oh, and by the way, Barr; we know what you and Trump are up too, so you better not go and twist things around and distort the key points to benefit Trump”.

10 Likes

It’s not clear to me Barr can actually prevent Mueller from testifying. The special counsel regulations don’t appear to contemplate any role for the special counsel beyond the delivery of his report to the AG. I think it’s a plausible reading of those regulations that Mueller is no longer employed by the DOJ.

10 Likes

The Mueller report jump-started other investigations, ones that could be compromised if some redactions weren’t made. I say “some” since I’d bet other redactions were not of Mueller’s doing.

1 Like

That would be a biggy. A huge forum for Dems to get Mueller to clarify (read: simplify for the comprehension-challenged) his main points.

6 Likes

I didn’t expect a prerelease letter. I expected the report to leave nothing to doubt. There was no reason at all Mueller could not have indicated in his report that certain acts of the President did or did not fit the statutory definition of obstruction of justice. The only reason he didn’t is because of the FBI policy that a sitting President can’t be indicted. Nobody was asking him to indict the President. But there was also no reason for him not to say that there was probable cause sufficient to send certain charges to a Grand Jury. Or something more forceful. Because anyone who has watched this President should have known exactly what they would do with any “loophole.” Which is why I’m not really sure Mueller is naive.

5 Likes

Speaking only for myself, to help keep my sanity, I try to separate my frustrations (however understandable), whether involving Trump or the GOP or White Nationalists or runaway corporate greed, etc., separate from what can be expected by common sense and the rule of law. I believe that Mueller and company (incredible professionals) did the best they could with what they had and presented a report that has provided ammunition for the House to form legitimate hearings. I very strongly recommend that anyone who is frustrated with the Mueller report go to CNN, MSNBC, HUFFPOST, POLITICO, etc., articles and editorials for an understanding of what the report says.

6 Likes

not convinced that incredible professionals will not get totally powned by incredible sleezebags, again.

1 Like

Yeah… about that…

17 Likes

Really?

Blown

5 Likes

He has to complete any prosecutions he undertook himself. And there are paperwork and records tasks that need to be taken care of, among other things.

Barring the prosecutions its largely house keeping and much of it could potentially be handed off. But its a natural outflow of the role and his duties that wouldn’t need to be specifically laid out in the regulations as a specific role. Since they’re a necessity of the role it does lay out.

So he’s still Special Council, he’s still a DOJ employee, and he’s technically not done yet. Given this letter it would also seem that he views getting that report to congress as part of his specific duty to provide such a report. Plus there’s the way the report is pretty much addressed to congress.

One of the details in both these reports is that Mueller suggested a very limited number of redactions. To the point that the DOJ staff were surprised how few he’d put up.

4 Likes

1 Like

dont forget that “surprise” is coming from a group of people who probably felt the report shouldn’t be released at all

4 Likes

Time will answer that.

3 Likes

it has, and so far sleezebags are winning

3 Likes

As quoted it sounds very much like said sources are trying to paint him as uncooperative.

But if true they’re basically putting out there that the people best positioned to determine what needed to be redacted. Didn’t see the need to redact much before handing this to congress. Who for the most part have the clearances to see all of it. The salient detail is they’re saying Barr redacted more than was recommended.

Said sources also claim Mueller “declined” to review the memo before it’s release but the paraphrases and quote from the letter makes it clear he was unhappy that such a memo was released at all. And that he pushed for the release of the opening section and conclusions. So it sounds like he felt the summary should have just been the opening and conclusions pulled word for word from the report.

2 Likes

Bob, Bob, Bob. Stop playing by the rules. These farks have been shiattin’ on the constitution since Jan 2017. They don’t deserve any deference. Don’t “leak” the report. Just carry the freekin’ unredacted thing over to CNN and be done with it.

7 Likes

They will send their thoughts and prayers.

3 Likes

I found this following video quite interesting. I didn’t realise that, going in to the investigation, Mueller wasn’t gunning for POTUS; that he accepted that you can’t arrest the sitting president and that it is the job of Congress to impeach.

6 Likes