Barry's Irish Breakfast is a light version of my favorite tea

Even with shipping, it’s considerably cheaper to buy Barry’s direct from Cork:
https://barrysteashop.ie/
Zippy delivery, too.

1 Like

They seem to have distribution in the US now. Almost every supermarket near me carries both the breakfast and the gold blend at prices comparable to (terrible) American brands.

A breakfast tea lighter than normal tea? What is this abomination?

6 Likes

Well, actually, what you want is Pumphrey’s Assam ‘A’ blend, sez I. Mmmmm, malty builder-tea goodness. Make it right, it’s almost like Horlicks.

2 Likes

I cannot begin to tell you in words how delicious, how rich this is, it is so so good:

Highly recommended.
Strongly recommended.
Does not actually have the strip-the-enamel-off-teeth aspect but so much flavor…

2 Likes

If I can’t paint my house with it, why are we even discussing it?

If the subject were good tea maybe. But the subject is good enough tea, that will also make children cry when you brew it.

Severed thumbs not raised pinkies.

(joking aside thanks for the recommendation)

2 Likes

Been doing decaf Yorkshire for a bit over a year now. Great midday yum.

(I can’t say if it’s pavlovian or what, but I still love a warm cup of something even when it’s no octane.)

The Guardian liked Ringtons tea, which I remember being sold by a guy in a van during my childhood.

5 Likes

We mainly drink Bewley’s nowadays, but Yorkshire Gold used to be our standard, especially when I lived in that part of the world and could get it fresh at the shop on Stonegate in York. (I used to get to Harrogate every month or so, but even then there were so many tourists that getting a table in Betty’s was usually not worth the effort.)

The tyneside cinema took over the nicest coffee place in Newcastle, and started selling Rington’s coffee. It is heinous. The tea is ok though.

1 Like

This is the correct answer. I have strongly recommended their Earl Grey blend before. And coincidentally, I have an order being delivered this weekend.

2 Likes

I was drinking tea this morning, reading this, and nearly sprayed a mouthful on my keyboard.

Thanks for a good laugh!

Though tempted, I just can’t paint my house with tea. My homeowners association would be after me that it’s not one of the “acceptable colors” in my neighborhood.

1 Like

This is a really nicely written article, thank you. I agree with their assessment of Yorkshire Tea.

Top of the pots

Yorkshire Tea (£2.79 for 80 teabags) A no-nonsense brew, befitting a county that gave us Geoffrey Boycott and Sean Bean. Like a Yorkshire terrier: feisty but reliable and surprisingly domineering. 4/5

Cornish Tea (£2.99 for 80 teabags) Pleasant enough but lacking in personality. I was expecting more subversion from a tea with the subtitle “smuggler’s brew”. 3/5

Welsh Brew Gold (£3.69 for 80 teabags) A hearty brew – strong and confident, yet strangely comforting, like a male voice choir. Can double for Yorkshire Tea. 4/5

Ringtons Gold (£3.97 for 100 teabags) Blended on Tyneside since 1907, Ringtons is my fave: a slightly smoky brew with a bright and golden hue. 5/5

Miles West Country Original (£2.50 for 80 teabags) Barely there. Disappointing for a region famed for its cream teas and Cheddar cheese. 3/5

Lancashire Tea (£2.30 for 80 teabags) Odd purplish hue. As satisfying as a weak handshake. Very “meh” for the county of strong women like Thora Hird, Emmeline Pankhurst and Barbara Castle. 2/5

Kinnettles Gold (£40 for a 20g tin) Grown and hand-rolled on Kinnettles farm in Angus, north-east Scotland, this delicate yellow-green tea bears no relation to any of the above but scores highly for refreshment and novelty value. 4/5

This part (below) fascinates me because our water here is extremely hard–the calcium carbonate leaves a dust in every pan we boil water in:

Nazia Parveen, a Brummie, manages to distinguish northern from southern. We all agree the Cornish and West Country brews are a bit too light for our unsubtle palates. It could be the water: ours in Manchester is soft and might not bring out the best in teas blended in England’s lower half. That said, most tea blenders import water from across the UK to check their product will still be drinkable outside their home region.

Also, at the bottom of that article, I can see the clever and hilarious Rhik Samadder has a new [to me] series called “Wellness or Hellness” which will provide many undepressing moments and cheap laughs.

1 Like

image https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81wORGTy96L.SX522.jpg

2 Likes

I don’t know why but I’m a sucker for products with that “by appointment to” logo on them.

1 Like

I just noticed…that’s December of next year??

I would think that the Prince of Wales would be the wrong royal for a Yorkshire tea.

2 Likes

More distance between the eggs and the beans. I may want to mix them but I want that to be my decision.

4 Likes

I didn’t make it, I just stole the image. :grin:

But if you’ve seen the movie, the plate is supposed to be repulsive, both in itself and for its association with an earlier scene.

1 Like

I never could stand for the syrup to touch my pancakes until I was ready to eat that particualr bite.

The image was supposed to be repulsive? :astonished:

I was merely arguing that perhaps a sausage could be used as a breakwater.

1 Like