BBC picks greatest films of the 21st century

As a super pretentious dick, I have to say Tree of Life was one of the most meaningless faux deep pieces of crap I’ve seen. It’s gotten criticism for being too experimental but thats not even it, it’s just a shitty story told in a way that’s supposed to make it seem like its better than it is. It blows and its inclusion on the list makes me think the compilers are just hyper pretentious assholes who think they’re better than you.

1 Like

This is why everyone loves the movie?

It’s interesting how good or bad a movie is, a lot of times depends entirely on how relevant it is to the viewer. I LOVE Fight Club because I find so many of the themes to be relatable to my own thoughts and struggles, where my wife has zero emotional connection to it.

Maybe I’m too cynical to appreciate Fury Road? I have no kids, and I don’t believe humans have much of a future on this planet. There will always be an Immortan jerk to take advantage of well meaning people.

One could argue that the 21st century started on the 11th September of 2001.

Anyway, I don’t see much to shun on that list. I feel that Mirrormask should have made it into the list (though not very high), but that’s just me. I’m very happy to see Spirited Away rank so high. Also happy to see the Cohen brothers in several spots.

1 Like

Well, this just confirms my lowbrow tastes. Of the movies I saw, many of them I hated. Ex: Both my wife and I hated Lost in Translation. Whiny bimbo can’t amuse herself in exotic world capital while her man works? Children of Men? Chase film after a McGuffin in a poorly constructed future. An example of Bad SF, not thought provoking at all. Wall-E was MUCH better, if unsubtle.

As pointed out, very few comedies, these kind of lists are always skewed to the DEEP, MEANINGFUL FILMS. I’ve also noticed whenever I peruse “best ever” lists they’re always heavy on the last decade or so, I wonder why the list that prompted this one was different.

2 Likes

Or pessimistic.

Thanks BBC for reminding me how many great films of the 20th century I still haven’t seen…

2 Likes

I came down to the comments and made an account just to rail against Tree of Life. It’s by far the worst film that I’ve sat through this century, and my wife and I still make fun of it to this day. Mulholland is a great choice, one of Lynch’s best. Tree of Life is utter garbage.

4 Likes

i thought “eternal sunshine” was one of the funnier movies i’ve seen. are you sure it wasn’t a comedy?

3 Likes

An amazing display of poise and self-control.

I love the little glance from her co-anchor, checking in and yeah I guess we are just going to ignore the chicken.

If the critics all watched it while on psychedelics, then it’s absolutely deserving of its place.

If they were sober, then yeah…

Well, that’s not reductive at all! Only 26% of the critics included were female, so it couldn’t possibly be just all those silly women.

3 Likes

Mulholland Drive? Seriously? This was the result of a hatchet job done on a tv series pilot? This article is a fail!!!

This wasn’t supposed to be a reply… >_<;

I fear this portal much more.

2 Likes

I really liked “Tree of Life”, but my wife insists it is just a big pile of pretentiousness. When we saw it in the theatre, most of those there had come by bus from one of those luxury retirement communities, and they were totally confused by the film.

1 Like

In many ways, the feminist movement is more about/by men than women.

Really?

4 Likes

Also, no Satoshi Kon? His films are fantastic and beautiful (not to mention that wonderful and weird series, Paranoia Agent)… If I had to pick a director of anime after Miyazaki to be on that list, he’d be it.

2 Likes

That contrast is kind of the point, right? A person being depressed/“lost” in a depressing location would just be depressing. I’m assuming neither you or your wife has suffered from clinical depression and therefore can’t have a connection with the movie. On the other hand, I deeply understood the vibe and loved the movie before Bill even gets out of the taxi.

Just goes to show that art appreciation is mostly relative to the viewer, and reviews are mostly useless to everyone else.

1 Like

Must we?

9 Likes