Bear that strolled through CA neighborhood is back in forest where he belongs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/24/monrovia-bear.html

5 Likes

This happens all the time in Monrovia but usually doesn’t make the news. It’s an interesting case study in how national media coverage is largely arbitrary.

ETA: I think this is about six blocks from @Otherbrother’s house.

14 Likes

That bear is safely shitting in the woods again, I call that a major success in today’s world.

10 Likes

Bear: My picture is on the flag. I can go anywhere I damn well please :bear:

17 Likes

“I don’t have to outrun the bear. I just have to outrun the CBS cameraperson.”

Yep, a day we fearful humans manage not to kill something is a win.

8 Likes

Yep, it’s extremely common in my neighborhood. There was a bear napping on my kid’s school campus the other day and he didn’t even think it was significant enough to mention it to me. I found out by seeing it in a national news story a day later.

It’s definitely a weird random phenomenon when these local stories happen to go viral. This whole thing really reminds me of that Onion story from 2010:

7 Likes

I grew up in that town. There are a couple of canyons and fire roads between Monrovia and neighboring Arcadia that funnel the wildlife down into the human habitation below.

Samson the hot tub bear was a local celebrity.

3 Likes

Headline writer didn’t read the quoted article. The bear is female. Barring additional knowledge about how the bear self-identifies, I’d expect the pronoun to be she not he.

1 Like

It’s so common they got names for the bears T-Shirt is one such bear. He a big round boi and I love my overly large bear son.

4 Likes

Good joke! But the reality is that bears pretty much never kill folks in California, (at least since the last grizzlies were shot) so the camera folks are probably pretty safe too. I think I read somewhere that the last fatal attack from a wild bear in California was in the 1800s. The only California deaths I could find on Wikipedia over the last 100 years or so were a couple trainers getting killed by their captive bears.

If only we had those same statistics for pit bull attacks.

5 Likes

4 Likes

My home town in the news!!!
M-M-M-O-N!
R-R-R-O-V!
V-V-V-I-A!
MONROVIA!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.