Behold the Hipster Nativity Set

Except in SanFran tour groups in North Beach.

I was always amazed they got people to pay extra for something that’s no more efficient than actually walking.

Tourists are weird.

2 Likes

those are the addition that clearly points to this being put out last year.

(…i swear i don’t mean to sound hipster-ish when saying that, haha)

EDIT: i like this one better for this year, anyway. : D

11 Likes

Same thing in Seattle. And I’ve seen the job postings for this; they require you to be an “experienced Segway driver”. Who … who is? Mall cops?

5 Likes

“Angels and ministers of grace defend us!”

1 Like

I saw a couple of nativity creches at Thanksgiving that were put together by two sisters, a kindergartner and a preschooler. They were awesome and included figurines you rarely see in such a context. Such as, among others, a dinosaur and a robot. None of the Christians present were offended which was also awesome.

4 Likes

$110? Geez, it’s even hipster pricing.

2 Likes

Yeah, but that’s coming from a child’s earnest creativity.

This feels more like commercialized douchbaggery.

4 Likes

I think the main reason Segways are only used by tourist groups is that nobody wants to risk being seen on one of those things in their own city.

7 Likes

I frequently see people riding these around Seattle as well:

It reminds me of the comic strip “B.C.” I kind of want to try one but I would also probably injure myself pretty much immediately.

5 Likes

Sexual intercourse? Too mainstream!

2 Likes

This is our creche:

Joseph wears his ball cap sideways, Baby Jesus is swaddled in pink, the Three Wise Men are bringing motor oil, fish and corn, and somehow there is a hedgehog in the stable. I love it so much.

9 Likes

Yea, I was into it way before Boing Boing ruined it.

2 Likes

Fun fact: It says nowhere that there were three guys. That’s simply folklore, derived from the three gifts mentioned.

Another valid translation instead of ‘wise men’ would be ‘researcher’ or ‘scientist’. As they state thenselves that their field trip was initiated by the observation of a (new) star rising, it may be assumed that they were astronomers.

So it would be perfectly correct to make a nativity set with 3 tenured professures who can afford expensive presents, 3 other professors who do not believe in these social conventions, 3 others who are absent- minded and forgot or lost their presents, a couple of post-docs to document the expedition, and a handful of students to carry the equipment.

3 Likes

When I was a little kid I made a car out of Lego for my family’s Nativity set, because I thought that Mary and Joseph had gone to Bethlehem to pay their taxi.

So, maybe a Tesla?

2 Likes

Where’s the caganer?

1 Like

I love novelty and/or interestingly-designed chess sets (purely for aesthetics, I don’t play), and nativity scenes are very much in the same vein as a set convention of role pieces that can be played with for artistic or commentary purposes. If I had infinite money and display space, I can see having collections of both.

I unironically love that “bauhaus nativity” that makes the rounds every so often. If I felt the need to have a nativity display in my home, that’s the one I’d pick.

2 Likes

I can’t read the writing on the cow’s trough, but I assume it’s the label of a craft beer so obscure you’ve never heard of it.
Unless they went the other way, and it’s a retro PBR or Rolling Rock.

2 Likes

I loved it until I saw Hipster Joe and Mary. I’d find it an absurd delight if the other figures were coming to visit a standard Holy Family; otherwise it’s worthy of discussion on an old USENET board I just imagined:
hipsternativity.die.die.die

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.