Behold! This gorgeous desktop version of our solar system MUST be yours

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/26/behold-this-gorgeous-desktop.html

1 Like

Wait, Pluto’s back?! When did Pluto get invited back?

…Is that why it’s on sale?

32 Likes

Rocky inner worlds need to be in scale with each other. Gas giant worlds need to be in scale with each other. Saturn needs rings. If these criteria aren’t met, its not a solar system model, its a marble collection.

34 Likes

The Sun needs to fill the whole room.

12 Likes

FYI: Sun material: Golden Calcite

2 Likes

I prefer my planetary tinted shot glass collection. One glass for each planet (no pluto). On a particularly bad day I can make it to Saturn by myself.

17 Likes

Is this what happens when a pandemic prevents people from flying? SkyMall seeks alternative opportunities to advertise?

13 Likes

Labradorite and Amazonite are wonderful rocks. They’re in the Feldspar family, and exhibit schiller - a moving iridescent sheen visible when the light hits them just right. Moonstone is another schiller-y Feldspar.

Cat’s Eyes are like a one- (or more rarely two-) rayed Star gem. They are found in many gemstones: Quartzes, Tourmalines, Tiger’s/Hawk’s Eye, Kornuperine, Opal, Aquamarine, Pezzottaite and others…but when the gem trade uses the term Cat’s Eye it’s specifically referring to Cat’s Eye Chrysoberyl. Some Chrysoberyls are color-change (Alexandrites), and Cat’s Eyes are also found among them.

10 Likes

It looks lovely, but I simply don’t have the room to display it properly.

7 Likes

I have access to a full-scale one. It’s very cool but I keep losing Pluto.

15 Likes

15 Likes

18 Likes

Y’all got a weird idea of faithfulness.

15 Likes

And you have to place it so very far away.

7 Likes

“Oh it’s… waves hand vaguely … over there somewhere.”

9 Likes

Why does calling Pluto an asteroid make it start acting like a meteor?

4 Likes

According to the Exploratorium site and guessing a 10" diameter for the sun, Pluto, be it planet or asteroid, should be a diameter of 0.016" and placed at a mean distance of 3540’ from our model sun. A timed stroll of 5 and a half hours to it from the center of your new gorgeous desktop orrery will mirror the proportionate speed of light.

7 Likes

“You call that a sun? That’s a sun for ants.”

8 Likes

Pluto is nowhere near that big though

That looks more like Mars impacting the Earth

3 Likes

I have bad news for you about Skymall (2015 article)

3 Likes