Belushi widow & Aykroyd produce Blues Brothers animated series

Though latter-day Jim looks a bit more like his older brother did.

Plays in the Blues Brothers too, apparently.

He also looks like this fellow:

Picture that guy singing “Mustang Sally.”

Or, don’t.

4 Likes

“No no no. We’re supposed to be playing soul, not EATING souls.”

5 Likes

Elwood better not fuck it up, alls I’m saying.

2 Likes

Judy Belushi and Dan Aykroyd are developing a kid-oriented Blues Brothers animated series with Bento Box, the studio behind Bob’s Burgers.

Apropos of not much, it’s interesting to me that an animation studio with such a Japan-fan name makes such non-anime-ish toons.

1 Like

I know its a kickass line from the movie, but nothing about that film came from goat piss.

The film obviously had some of the finest R&B performers of the time. But the secret ingredient was mix of sessions recording masters and backup musicians extraordinaire who made up the Blues Brothers Band. There was a ton of talent on screen doing what it did best. It was also the one of first real big budget comedy ($30 million was a lot to spend on a musical comedy in 1979)

But it does have a glaring plot hole which is never addressed
"It would be unlikely that a church-owned orphanage would have to pay a property tax bill since, in Illinois - as in much of the rest of the world - property owned by religious groups and other not-for-profit organizations is tax-exempt.

2 Likes

It was obviously a for-profit orphanage.

And Belushi, as much as I love him, was high as a fucking kite providing all the goat piss for that film. Smashing a bottle on a fender and punching Elwood on the arm to get him back in the car took a full day to shoot.

3 Likes

Why would a nun, [THE PENGUIN :flushed:] be running a for-profit orphanage?

Excellent point!

1 Like

Yeah, I’d like to add to that and say that I enjoyed the music in BB2K enough to give the movie a positive vote, despite the fact that everything else is a warmed over re-hash of the first film. Although, it is true that the fact that it was all a retread became slightly amusing after a while.

1 Like

Outlook on not sucking not good.

100% agree Let it be what it was for it’s time, but I guess they are on a mission from GOD.

A kids version of samurai delicatessen, on the other hand might work.

3 Likes

Hmm. “Blues Brothers” movie: 1980. That’s 36 years ago. Yep, this sure is gonna be easy to make into something for the kids of today to relate to. I’m sure it’ll go over as well as, say, the 1994 movie based on “Car 54, Where Are You” did with audiences of its day.

Good luck trading on that vibrant Blues Brothers brand, Ms. Belushi and Mr. Aykroyd.

1 Like

What? My kids have seen ‘Blues Brothers’ – haven’t everyone’s?

4 Likes

Next you’ll be suggesting we watch “The Wizard of Oz”!

For eff’s sake, half the film is in black-and-white!

6 Likes

English is a wonderfully cannibalistic language capable of adopting foreign loan words and normalizing them past any shade of their original setting. The head honcho of Bento Box may have been inspired by the Japanese word but its been common in mommy blogs for quite a while now. Other business tycoons have been at least a skosh inspired by Japan as well.

3 Likes

Yeah, it got pretty far along, got publicly announced and everything, then the deal fell through for some reason, like the article said. I’ve got no idea why. Unpaid interns weren’t privy to that kind of info.

1 Like

Jim Belushi was perfect in Salvador too, for much the same reason Tim Allen’s only good (live-action) role was in Galaxy Quest. They both played versions of their real life dipshit/asshole (respectively) selves, which were exactly what those movies required.

(Come to think of it, James Woods appeared to be playing himself in Salvador too.)

5 Likes

But it does have a glaring plot hole which is never addressed
“It would be unlikely that a church-owned orphanage would have to pay a property tax bill since, in Illinois - as in much of the rest of the world - property owned by religious groups and other not-for-profit organizations is tax-exempt.”

Surely that misses the point; the “mission from God” was never really about saving an orphanage - it was about saving their own souls by getting the band back together. A story of redemption and incarceration.

1 Like

Wait. What!? What is this? When. Why did I… what! Wait a minute!

ETA: Well, there you go. Happens all the time apparently and I now feel out of a very special loop.