Bernie Sanders drops out

Yeah, I understand and agree. It is fairly cynical, though. But what is politics but cynicysm?

1 Like

But he said he would, right?

While I agree with you re: SC electorate, my “they” was the DNC and, in a broader context, everyone who endorsed Biden and voted for him between SC and Super Tuesday II. That’s what buried him.

1 Like

He has in interviews, but the proposal itself doesn’t. Medicare does prohibit private coverage of anything already covered by Medicare, but doesn’t prohibit supplemental insurance for things not covered.

That’s my “they” too.

1 Like

I’m going to guess that Biden’s dream cabinet is probably not going to make me very happy. If Obama put Republicans in his, I can only imagine how many of Biden’s “good friends” he’ll want to tap.

1 Like

Friend, if you want to pretend Biden is going to nominate a SC judge who will overturn Roe, you’re grasping at straws. (Also, there aren’t 10 justices on the court).

8 Likes

sigh I wish I had your ability to predict the future.

Yet.

Perhaps - that seems like the kind of uninspired, melba-toast thing that he would do for sure. - Being ‘hugely preferable to any of the GOP picks’ isn’t exactly a high bar to clear.

Yeah, the bulk of private insurance would have gone the way of the dodo, anyhow except maybe for specific circumstances. To take such a rigid stance I thought was a little much. But hey, I don’t like Bernie because he’s wishy-washy!

3 Likes

Gotta hand it to Republicans, they’ve got a strategy that is really impressively self-sustaining:

1. make government services suck, waste tax dollars, and make the state abusive
  2. run on a platform that government services suck, taxatiin is a waste, and that the state is oppressive.
  3. …*
  4. PROFIT!!!

*occasionally something like COVID makes people realize functiong government really does matter. Oh, but also somewhere in here is voter suppression. the machine isn’t perfect

11 Likes

And I will point out that the core justification for Roe, which many, many men on the left seem to believe is an acceptable trade off, since, you know they aren’t responsible for bringing life into the world and all that goes along with that, was decided on privacy rights. So, if women lose this right, than other rights to privacy will follow. People who aren’t willing to look out for the civil rights of others are more in danger of having their taken away too.

Conservatives have a majority and plenty of states are pushing laws that will get through to the SC. There are cases on abortion winding their way through the courts. This has been organized and planned and in the works for decades.

But I’m not a real fan of my rights being put into jeopardy like that, as if the women of this country do not matter… especially at a time when so many of my fellow women are being forced to put their health and well being on the line to fight a pandemic.

Um, no. It was a moment where half the population had greater freedom and liberation. It’s kind of shitty for you to being acting as if my rights aren’t in immediate danger with another 4 years of Trump, because they most certainly are.

16 Likes

Five years ago I was impatient with the choice of Garland. Now the world is different, and I’ll be grateful if we can simply hang onto some of the basic gains we’ve made over my lifetime, especially w/r to reproductive freedom, and hope that if we can get those out from under immediate threat we can roll back some of the regression of the last few years and maybe make some more gains. Even if they are incremental.

ETA: I’m old enough that when I was a kid you could get thrown in jail for marrying someone of a different race, for sleeping with someone with the same sex, for having an abortion, or even for prescribing birth control. It really sucked. I don’t know how to convey to someone too young to have experienced these things how much it sucked, if they don’t naturally understand it. The threats need to be taken seriously; people with the ear of the current President are old enough to also remember these things, but to them they are attainable goals.

7 Likes

I am disappointed that the race is now likely between two candidates of various shades of creepy old white dude. However, I will still vote for Biden, instead of voting for someone who isn’t in contention, or withholding my vote. Leaving the board game table in a huff just because the group decided not to play the game you wanted is what a child does.

7 Likes

This - the greatest moment in our system.

This - why it’s the most horrible thing to happen to our politics - your rights shouldn’t be in danger. They already are and dreaming that Roberts is going to vote to ‘ensure the legacy of the court’ is wishful thinking - he could (I will admit that) but I’m not going to even dream that it’s reliable or that it’s even a given that he will. I do resent - however - that you think you are the only person who’s rights have (or may be) trampled on by Trump. I am mourning because I think the result of today is that he’s going to win again - not because I dismiss you - me - or anyone else.

I’m angry because I feel like even if we win - the status quo Biden champions will not fix things to keep it from happening again. My point about the SC is that at the end of all this - if we don’t fix the system - then R’s are going to just cheat anyway - we needed someone who was willing to do more than than the status quo.

1 Like

That’s how I felt with Bush - that’s how things felt before Trump - I don’t understand how you all think the Republicans give a crap about ‘normal’ though when they have proven - at the local - state - and national level - that they have no respect for rules.

Anyway I’m out - enough headspace has been spent on this today and I appreciate the dialog - it was cathartic if nothing else to be able to mourn - while this is still possible without using TOR.

2 Likes

There’s never a wrong time to say that.

1 Like

The #3 you’re looking for is “privatize”.

7 Likes

Yup, same way Obama lost, twice.

1 Like

And remember the kowtowing to “moderate” Republicans? None of whom ended up supporting the bill? (But who nevertheless had measurable effects in reducing the comprehensiveness of ACA.)

All of this because of the filibuster. We need to return the filibuster to what it used to be in the '70s: if you want to continue a filibuster, you have to be physically present on the Senate floor. This should appeal to Conservatives! This is getting back to the ‘old way’ of doing things? (Isn’t that what they’re all about?) Therefore,

Fuck the filibuster.

It’s very interesting that Mitch McConnell, who has broken every norm of the Senate and humanity, has seen fit to not revise the filibuster. Why would this be? Because he doesn’t need it. Because he gets everything he wants from the Senate now, and a Democratic filibuster-free Senate would greatly harm him. A simple Senate majority can pass all tax cuts via Reconciliation. (McConnell did modify the filibuster to allow simple majority for approval of judges.) And otherwise, the Republicans are fine with doing nothing else but passing tax cuts and approving young, healthy, Randian, Liberty University graduates to senior judgeships.

Discouragingly, Biden doesn’t see this as a priority. (He even lumped this in, with things like the Electoral College, as a “Constitutional” issue that he can’t do much about. It’s just a Senate rule, ffs.)

7 Likes

I’m so pissed I didn’t even get to vote (NY) and it’s already “decided.” What the fuck?! Fucking hell, this ain’t right.