Bernie Sanders drops out

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/08/bernie-sanders-drops-out.html

7 Likes

Now we get to see if Biden can defeat Biden. Wonder who the Veep pick will be? Kamela or Elizabeth?

32 Likes

Shit. He’s just another politician firmly in big industry’s pocket, and there’s no incentive for rural conservatives to vote for him over Trump. We’re screwed.

18 Likes
17 Likes

Stacy? :crossed_fingers:

21 Likes

Kamala. Hopefully her, or at least not Warren. Intentionally guaranteeing the Senate to the Republicans would be a classic loser-crat move.

The thrill of neutering Warren is probably the only reason Biden would consider it.

6 Likes

The DNC proves again that they would rather have Trump than Bernie.

28 Likes

not if biden can convince voters he’s a little less senile than trump …oh wait your still right.

1 Like

“FUCK!” - Canada

12 Likes

Welp, there goes nothing. Trump will win again. Biden is not a real choice: he’s tepid, he’s a child molester, and basically he’s the same as Trump in a more benevolent packaging.

8 Likes

Well, we’re screwed. The beatings will continue till morale improves.

13 Likes

I remember somewhere him saying that he was looking at the other primary candidates. So - my best guess is one of those two. But - who knows?

7 Likes

Agreed, it would be one thing to sacrifice Warren’s Senate seat to the GOP in a gamble to make her the President. It’s not worth it to give her a largely ceremonial VP role. Better to focus on flipping the Senate, then give her Mitch McConnell’s job.

34 Likes

Perhaps they would - but it was the voters who made this decision.

28 Likes

The actuarial tables (among other reasons) strongly suggest that Biden would not serve two full terms. Ideally, he wouldn’t even serve one full one, but would pick a running mate for her ability to actually finish out a term and shine. Not to mention cleaning up the wreckage left by Trump and McConnell.

I’m all for Biden serving two years plus one day and then resigning.

19 Likes

This is really disappointing. I was really hoping for Warren or Bernie to get the nomination and now both have dropped out. I really dislike Biden, sure i’ll take him over Trump if possible but its not someone i’m enthusiastic about nor someone i trust to have my best interests at heart.

37 Likes

A GA girl can dream…

15 Likes

Though the DNC clearly had their thumb on the scale in 2016, this year it was all the voters. I have no idea what, exactly pulled them so hard right, but a combination of South Carolina’s devastating defeat, the cascade of endorsements consolidating the centric vote followed by a dismal Super Tuesday means this was over four weeks ago. Or how ever long ago that was. Time doesn’t exist anymore.

But I agree with the second half of that tweet (minus the speculation about “mental problems”). Our only hope is a VP pick like Kamala, Elizabeth or Stacy Abrams who can act as a surrogate. Mental decline or not, Joe Biden is an ass and demonstrates it every chance he gets.

13 Likes

Biden adopted a number of Sanders 2016 policies, including the $15 minimum wage. Generally speaking the points they differ on, like M4A, isn’t super popular at this time unfortunately. Also Sanders is a pretty divisive figure. I would not argue this shows the voters pulling “hard right”.

16 Likes

Me too. Warren was the better candidate in almost every regard and I say that as someone with a deep abiding love of grumpy NY Jews and loud talkers. Bernie showed a whole generation that there actually is a liberal America, but I guess we’ll have to wait another decade for a chance to see any action.

23 Likes