Bernie Sanders endorses Joe Biden

Can I still vote for him in the primary?

4 Likes

according to your posts here, you are fully onboard with Bernie. I obviously like him, but as a pragmatic communist that i am, i would stay away from glorifying the guy. 4 years ago he acted as an asshole by not endorsing that other candidate. This showed to me that he took the shit that DNC was doing to him personally and consequently put his feelings above the interest of the country. The ramifications of such feelings are obvious today. By endorsing Biden today he’s signaling that he learned his lesson and wants to be on the right side of the history this time.

1 Like

So, wait… I was told Bernie will still be on the ballot in Oregon when I’m eventually allowed to vote in the primary. Now that he’s endorsed Biden, is there any bargaining power left in those Sanders delegates? Is there any point in bothering at all?

Sanders formally endorsed Hillary Clinton in July of 2016.

He also stated as early as November of 2015 “On her worst day, Hillary Clinton will be an infinitely better candidate and president than the Republican candidate on his best day.”

27 Likes

Yes, as having Bernie still get delegates shows the DNC where the ideologies of their voters lie. They won’t care as much as if Sanders were still in the race, but it will be a consideration on both who they throw their weight behind in future Presidential runs, as well as when they decide who to support at local and state levels.

11 Likes

I have to imagine that some of the people that voted for Trump felt this way too. For them it wasn’t the man, but his party.

2 Likes

Wow. If only I’d said that in my very first comment…

Nah… clearly I was glorifying Bernie… :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

Fair, but he literally endorsed her two weeks before the convention, after testing the waters for floor fights at the convention. His delegates actually did do some floor fighting during the vote.

1 Like

We’re past that point, I’m at the planning on how to rebuild it stage.

These statements are easily shown as false, and you know that, right?

Bernie endorsed HRC and campaigned hard for her, even doing more campaign events than President Obama IIRC. Here’s a little taste: https://www.newyorker.com/news/amy-davidson/bernie-sanderss-hard-fight-for-hillary-clinton

So, uhhh, whatcha gettin at here?

15 Likes

Huh. I would have guessed ashy-green.

So - you can afford to stay in a hotel for four years instead of putting out the fire?

We’re not all so fortunate.

12 Likes

luckily, i was alive 4 years ago and saw the level of endorsement that he gave her. And the level of communication to his supporters to make sure they go out and vote for her. Look, i am not picking a fight here - i am just saying that he is a politician with an ego, just like every other one.

I want Sander’s mind in the WH. The way I see it, we’ve gotta somehow get Joe and Bernie to switch bodies, like that one ST episode where Kirk and Dr. Janice Lester swap bods:

st-intruder2

8 Likes

We all have to support Biden even if that makes some of us vomit (it does me), but I’m really hoping that Bernie and Elizabeth Warren are getting some legit concessions to push the platform leftward in exchange for endorsing him

17 Likes

He held nearly 40 rallies for her in the last 4 months of the election…

18 Likes

I can understand some hesitation to being basically forced to endorse someone who is going to lose.

1 Like

Arguing about who should be the nominee used to be the primary PURPOSE of the convention. Endorsing a former opponent weeks before the convention even starts doesn’t make someone an “asshole.”

16 Likes

That’s not some hesitation, that’s seeing if it’s viable to proceedurally force a brokered convention and then finding out it’s not, so reluctantly endorsing at the last possible moment. While the DNC convention itself started two weeks later, at that time there was already work being done at the state levels that were also affected by the floor fighting. That doesn’t ring endearingly like an endorsement to me.

1 Like

incrementalism kills people. for real. we should all be doing whatever we can to get baby tyrant out of office and into jail, but nobody should be excited about this. unfortunately, it’s far from a sure thing in this country. every time the dems run a moderate, the overton window shifts to the right. but they don’t seem to care. it’s shameful.

5 Likes