Bernie Sanders endorses Joe Biden

That’s… not true. Not really. Usually, the floor vote and what not is the showy part that is a coronation. Been that way for a long, long time. It’s a foregone conclusion by then because everyone can do the math, the delegates are bound, and the state conventions happened weeks (or even months) before.

The purpose of the national convention is, besides being a weeklong commercial, to organize the party platform and positions for the party for the next year.

I’m really hoping his supporters have learned a lesson from that, and will do what their leader asks of them!

3 Likes

Well yes, they wanted to run someone who would win, but then discovered that it was impossible so they reluctantly put their support behind the loser, who then lost. And it is happening again this year and for some reason the party leadership seems completely happy with the outcome.

3 Likes

I’m sorry that how Democrats voted is making you upset that the party is respecting how democrats voted.

9 Likes

A cabinet position would probably be easier… :thinking:

1 Like

With an attitude like that - how can they lose?

7 Likes

I just don’t want to see Trump re-elected, and that’s the future I see with Biden. I have my doubts that Ruth Bader Ginsburg is going to last another 4 years.

3 Likes

By putting up a meh candidate that people don’t bother voting for?

well there’s a sign of the apocalypse, literally

now in about 80 years or so his cult will finally accept it

meanwhile I can’t believe I have to freaking vote for Biden, we did the same damn thing the republicans did in 2016, so many damn choices and yet in the end we get the clown

he better pick a hell of a VP

1 Like

Don’t you mean electing candidates- if your argument is that the candidate who wins the election is unelectable- you may be a Republican.

7 Likes

Our own people didn’t vote for Sanders. HIS OWN demo went through the floor between last primary and this one. The youth didn’t show up for him. They won’t show up in the general anyway. So I don’t really get how you can judge that Joe Biden is a meh candidate that people don’t bother voting for when Bernie Sanders ALSO had real trouble getting even his base to vote for him?

You’re not convincing me that the candidate who got MORE votes is going to do worse than the candidate who got fewer votes.

12 Likes

Come on, now, a few dozen rallies could just have been begrudging acceptance. It doesn’t mean he endorsed her. /s

It’s tough to admit you’re wrong, even when faced with robust evidence that contradicts you. Because politicians aren’t the only ones with egos.

6 Likes

The primary isn’t the general election. Primary voters also show up for general elections, but the reverse isn’t always true. Also about half of the electorate doesn’t get a say in the primary, because it’s already effectively decided on Super Tuesday.

Primaries are won by the candidate that most appeals to early primary voting states. General is won by turn-out-the-vote efforts.

5 Likes

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the Bernie supporter defection rate in the 2016 general lower than the Hillary supporter defection rate in 2008?

5 Likes

This isn’t really true. The GOP base was not enthusiastic about either of the George Bushes, and Democratics in the urban north had real apprehension about Carter. Republicans went to the polls for W’s second term because they were motivated by one of the nastiest negative campaigns we’d seen, an Osama Bin Laden endorsement of Kerry, and the ongoing war, not because they loved W.

At least let’s hope he can talk some of his angrier supporters out of attack mode.

1 Like

If you can’t with the playoffs you can’t win the World Series.

4 Likes

I believe that’s correct, yes. Doesn’t mean there weren’t hold outs who voted for Trump, but Sanders did put in the time and effort to support Clinton, and anyone saying otherwise is trying to gaslight us.

7 Likes

I was around for the George W. re-election. Early forms of what we now call the alt-right pushed him to victory. They were absolutely energized and they got out the vote, especially in rural areas where the votes are worth the most. People forget how much enthusiasm there was that America was finally shooting brown people in the Middle East. They had been asking for this “simple solution” their entire life and someone finally delivered with not one but two shooting wars. It was a dream come true. Plus you had the Congress swinging to the right thanks to the efforts of Gingrich and the people who followed him.

1 Like

If the prospect of stopping the wholesale destruction of our system of government and generations worth of civil rights and environmental protection doesn’t “excite” you, then you may need to ask yourself some hard questions.

Trump very well may win in November. But if that happens, there will be time enough to grieve without getting an early start on the smug self satisfaction of saying I told you so we should have nominated someone else.

11 Likes

The premise behind Sanders’ election strategy for both the primaries and the general was that he was going to inspire people to get to the polls who normally wouldn’t vote. Unfortunately that didn’t work in the former but we’re supposed to take it on faith that it would have worked in the latter.

I think it may be time to accept that the American electorate just makes really bad decisions sometimes.

15 Likes