Best day ever: This six-year-old kid was given $1K to spend in 24 hours

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/28/best-day-ever-this-six-year-o.html

1 Like

Way to spoil the ending!!! Sheesh.

3 Likes

Brewster’s Hundreds. I like it. What a good kid.

7 Likes

Challenge accepted.

1 Like

If the market wasn’t tanking, I’d suggest he use the entire wad on tech stock.

1 Like

This is actually not a new experiment. We used to call them rich kids.

8 Likes

Call me grumpy i guess but i was annoyed some well off white kid was picked for this video.

7 Likes

I know, right? I would have at least sought out some underprivileged, under-served kid. There’s no spiritual benefit in propping up the entitled.

6 Likes

I’m sure this kid had a great time and a positive experience, i wouldn’t want to take that away from him. But i feel someone more deserving that needed that experience could’ve been easily found.

4 Likes

I guess it’s not as entertaining to watch a kid buy food for his family or help mom pay the rent.

As least this kid was kind enough to give away a lot of the money to people in need instead of acting like the spoiled little shit in that Disney movie.

6 Likes

I would disagree. If a content creator came to a family saying that they’ll give their kid 1k but that they have to spend it on fun things i’m sure they’d be ok with it and make it happen. I’d love to see what an underprivileged kid would do to have fun with his family or friends.

At the end of the day i’m still glad this one kid had a blast, but it feels like a wasted opportunity is all i’m saying.

1 Like

This almost sounds like research that would require some approvals before it could proceed. Note: haven’t actually watched the vid yet.

I went on a business-type road trip to Mexicali with a friend of mine and his friend from El Paso a couple of months ago, acting as “chofer”, so they could get some sleep on the way. As a side trip, we dropped in on my friend’s cousin he hadn’t seen in at least 15 years.
It turns out she had three girls, and an abusive husband who wouldn’t show his face the entire time we were there. We offered to go get some dinner and came back with extra groceries, and the looks on the girl’s faces told me that this was an event of a lifetime for them. The mother was in tears.
Since then, I’ve been trying to scrape together some donations so we can go back and fix them up with a few things, namely some clothes and new tires for their bicycles. So far, only enough to cover the gas to get there and back, but I’m hoping maybe a couple of painting sales of my own work might boost the bottom line.

Don’t get me wrong, I sincerely love this kid, his guilty conscience, and his desire to help the homeless, but I’m not losing any sleep over his situation, either. I just think the content creators could have put a lot more effort into finding a more deserving kid.

9 Likes

4 Likes

Behold, the new youngest flexer in the game.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.