Best sweaters of British television in the 1980s

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/03/best-sweaters-of-british-telev.html

2 Likes

Slip of the pen, I’m sure, but “penultimate” doesn’t mean “super ultimate”.

4 Likes

The Brits do also have one of the coolest sweaters - the commando sweater.

I actually just picked up one in my size like new at an estate sale for $4. I could wear my Grandpas Coast Guard hat and poor cosplay Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart from UNIT on classic Doctor Who.

Looks similar to this. Probably a $75 sweater new.

10 Likes

No, he’s using it correctly; he’s gong to release the ultimate collection himself.

2 Likes

I only find a few of these to be particularly hideous, but that blue one with the shoulder stripes kind of looks like a basement-budget space opera uniform to me.

2 Likes

I just knew that before hitting “Show Post” there was going to be Gyles Brandreth.

5 Likes

The ultimate collection is watching Noel Edmonds on Youtube all day.

The downside to this is that you are watching Noel Edmonds all day.

4 Likes

9 Likes

I liked, and would wear, about a third of those.

2 Likes

I love them all. Give me sweaters!

2 Likes

If I’d known you liked them I would have baked them in a cake for you

2 Likes

I used to have a sweater like the one that John Cleese is wearing in the upper left except mine had a crew neck rather than a V. I think I may have gotten it from my parents for Christmas some time in the early '80s. In fact, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find it somewhere in the back of my closet were I to look. Who knows. It might be all the rage again some time in the 2020s.

1 Like

Our school rugby shirts were actually pretty close to this one, but made out of canvas, not wool.

(and if you think pink is a bit girly for rugby players, try explaining that to Stade Français)

I want quite a few of those

It isn’t really fair to criticise loud jumpers on a kiddie-show host, come on.

I had one similar to the one Les Dennis was wearing, except it was bulkier. However, mainly I wore much heavier (and plainer) ones, as I was living in a pretty leaky Victorian flat up in Yorkshire.

@beschizza’s tags are off the hook:

butter / Gadgets / phones
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.