Best video for a gun that shoots nets to ensnare bad people

We had lower expectations for our Spider-Men special effects back in the 70s.

7 Likes

This is what I’ve been saying every time cops claim they had no choice but to shoot an unarmed victim,* most recently Mario Woods, as mentioned by @bolamig. Most police departments switched from regular nightsticks to tonfa-style batons, so it’s not as if retraining is an insurmountably tall order.

* Or armed only with a melee weapon. Woods was brandishing a knife, but unless he was holding it to someone’s throat I don’t think that’s sufficient cause to shoot him.

3 Likes

Not exactly subtle. :no_mouth:

The wikipedia page [notes](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fathom_(film)), helpfully.

This was one of three 1967 20th Century Fox films about female spies, the others being Doris Day’s Caprice and Andrea Dromm’s Come Spy with Me.

2 Likes

Doris Day… Spy Movie…

1 Like

Come Spy With me was supposedly even worse

link

2 Likes

Oh hey Caprice was directed by Frank Tashlin and is industrial espionage between rival cosmetic companies… Oh I so want to see this now.

1 Like

The nets are probably expendable as well. Otherwise they’d have to launder them before repacking, having been exposed to a suspect’s grime and bodily fluids and whatnot. Plus there’s no money in reuse.

1 Like

Ye gods I miss Leslie Nielsen. He should have run for president.

2 Likes

Yeah, but he was as Canadian as Ted Cruz, so he wouldn’t be eligible anyway.

(or did I miss the joke? Probably)

Ronald Reagan, the “great” “communicator,” never on his best best day looked half as presidential as this:

Darn! I forgot Nielsen was a Canadian. I guess a presidency for him would be Forbidden–he didn’t Planet that way.

5 Likes

Maybe, but the description and pic seem to suggest more air cartridges than packed net cones, as the writeup says enough air cartridges for 10 launches and the pic only shows 2 packed cone sections.
That implies that some repacking on the part of the user would be necessary.

Edit: from the Amazon description:
“The Super Talon net can be re-used over and over…”
“Kit Includes: Firing Handle, 2 Net Launchers, 10 Air Cartridges…”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.