Beware of "beaning," a trend where teens pour baked beans on doorsteps

I was expecting a challenge where a thhe eats baked beans (and onions for extra boost) and the imitate the famous French Artist Joseph Pujol

7 Likes

Beans Beans, the musical fruit!
The more you eat, the more you toot!
Open them up and dump them on my porch,
…don’t you have something better to do? I mean it even sounds dumb. Perhaps go back to planking?

3 Likes

What a waste of good beans.

You’re supposed to pour them down your pants.

Or at least that’s what I do.

10 Likes

"The craze has proven to be popular with over 1.2m views under the hashtag “#beanbandits”, where kids show off their bean-based pranks.

1.2m is tiny by Tik Tok standards. The few times I haved clicked through to Tik Tok content I was amazed that they have hashtags that are used in the billions.

ETA: it seems Tik Tok maybe counts both how often a hashtag has been posted but also how often it has been viewed, as opposed to other platforms that only count usage? Their most popular ones count in the trillions!

1 Like

Don’t go farting up someones front door step. Damn it!

2 Likes

Yeah that’s the thing. I saw this months and months ago (the first time might have been last spring or summer) as a viral post claiming it was how “thieves” or various minority groups “marked” targets for various things. Long before any mention of “beaning”. I don’t know if the initial post that went viral was genuine at all. But it seemed to light off among the paranoid right and UK tabloids presented as something genuine. Before it went full on viral as a “look at these idiots thing”.

So to the extent that any “teens” are actually slinging beans around it’s seems to start with mocking this very kind of paranoia.

The UK seems to be as afraid of teenagers as it is of minorities and immigrants.

5 Likes

Teenagers? I think not!

15 Likes
7 Likes

the trend seems to accomplish little more than waste perfectly good things and inconvenience neighbors.

I’d think baked beans would be pretty slippery, making them a serious safety hazard if the occupant didn’t notice them. I assumed that was the point - to get “hilarious” falling down videos, but maybe that’s an unintended, theoretical side-effect…

Thanks to social media, is there a difference? Half the “social media trends” I see are people talking about a supposed social media trend… So a few teenagers doing it, then many, many times more reacting to them doing it, then adults reacting to their reactions, well, seems like how these things normally work. I suspect even most “popular” social media trends involve tiny numbers of people, but since every single instance is documented, people still assume that every documented case represents a number of undocumented ones (even though that makes no sense).

Better than the paranoid white people coming up with insane “child trafficking” schemes. Random bystanders were getting attacked because Qidiots decided various random things indicated their car had been marked by abductors who were going to follow them around and steal their children. They were suddenly noticing that their car had that mark (e.g. a chalk mark on the tire left by parking enforcement) and assuming whoever was also in the parking lot when they noticed it must be the perpetrator.

4 Likes

Bean-go!

Sorry.

3 Likes

no no no – creamed corn goes in the pants… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now I know what I’m doing this weekend.

THANKS!

3 Likes

any time-- thats what we are here for . a community - supporting each other… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s probably scooter gangs marking their turf.

6 Likes

Amateurs.
Back in my day, those beans would have been put into a paper sack & lit on fire.
After the beans were digested, of course…

7 Likes

the pro…
lights the bag on fire, then rings the doorbell…

the TRUE pro…
waits for the resident to attempt to stomp the burning flames out ----
before knocking or frantically ringing the BACK doorbell - under the guise of “can Tommy come out to play?”…
resulting in them tracking flaming poo THROUGH the house…

don’t ask me how I, (a TRUE pro) know any of this… I was NEVER young.

5 Likes

Now that is True Evil.
And funny as hell!

3 Likes

Worried this may drive up the cost of our beloved food staple in the midst of pandemic.

1 Like

When I was a teen the favorite was a paper bag with dog crap inside and set alight on the porch. Of course, in those benighted days, we didn’t have social media. Or internet or cellphones or anything else for that matter…

1 Like

After “Jenkem” I can’t really be bothered to get outraged at what people on the internet tell me the kids are doing wrong.

2 Likes