It's Halloween, which means local news copaganda falsely claiming drugs, poisoned candy and razor blades are handed out to kids

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/30/its-halloween-which-means-local-news-copaganda-falsely-claiming-drugs-poisoned-candy-and-razor-blades-are-handed-out-to-kids.html

4 Likes

Have they by chance produced a list of these homes handing out edibles? Asking for a friend.

29 Likes

Surely excessive sugar consumption in children is like poison. Maybe this isn’t fake news but simply a poorly described metaphor?

Or it’s just the same horseshit that I’ve seen through my entire childhood and adult life, which probably contributed to my cynical views on mass media and journalism.

10 Likes

The neighborhood a few blocks over is one of the most popular in town for trick-or-treating and in our neighborhood it is a struggle to get anyone to come by. Some people resort to to enticing parents to bring their kids by with things like gourmet full size chocolate bars for the adults. Maybe they should try handing out edibles for the adults…

6 Likes

Even if one was the kind of psycho hellbent on harming random children then this would be the dumbest possible way to go about it. It would take about five minutes for an investigator to figure out which house in the neighborhood was giving that crap out.

14 Likes

This stuff isn’t all myth. One time when I was a kid I was horrified to get a Bit-O-Honey while trick-or-treating.

17 Likes

Yoiu know what actually is handed out to kids?

COVID-19,

14 Likes
2 Likes

They’re still peddling this bullshit, even now?

I mean, I still check the candy each year because it’s fucking tradition, not because I have ever once found anything wrong with the candy collected on Halloween - not mine, none of my nieces & nephews, and none of my own kid’s candy has ever been compromised.

15 Likes

This says a lot about America’s puritan anti-fun and joy background. Fuck the puritans with great joy. Laugh at the loonies. Hell just laugh for fun. Laugh at hateful old grumps who try to bring down our spirits. Laugh at cops…maybe just grin at them. Smiles may come easier if you eat your own special goodies first. Fuck the gloomy bastards…they’re the poison thats being passed around!

3 Likes

Satanic Panic is big again this year too. Some of the classic paranoia just never really goes away.

20 Likes

Fuck, they really are trying to relive the past…

14 Likes

Aww. I guess Dailymotions vids don’t embed. Sad!

3 Likes

we’ll be picking on ABC 7 today

That’s OK. These BS stories have been a staple of the ABC affiliate Eyewitless News format since it started in the 1970s.

8 Likes

Indiana State Police say marijuana edibles could fool parents.

Who are they kidding? I have stacks of edibles in my house all the time, and we know where every one of those packages are. They are certainly not going out to trick or treaters. They cost way too much.

15 Likes

14 Likes

It was bullshit in 1980, it’s bullshit now. The only reason I check the candy is to make sure everything has an intact wrapper and to make sure there isn’t any Xtian proselytizing garbage in there. Fun-governors should just turn their damned porch light off on Halloween.

14 Likes

I know when I buy weed I always give it away for free to strangers who don’t want it.

15 Likes

In 1980, 1990, 2000, 2010, now…

Excellent point;

That is one of the only inappropriate things I’ve ever found - candy with “bible scriptures” printed on them.

Promptly thrown in the trash along with the Bit-o-Honey and circus peanuts.

12 Likes

Meanwhile the people actually hiding razor blades to harm people are Trump supporters in their lawn signs

14 Likes