Beware! Someone is booby-trapping Oregon forest trails with wire and hidden spike boards

Originally published at: Beware! Someone is booby-trapping Oregon forest trails with wire and hidden spike boards - Boing Boing

8 Likes

i wonder just what group of forest service road users were being targeted? hikers? probably not. or as posted, hunters and miners? hmmm. are there groups of users seen as problematic to these “ecowarrior terrorists”?

i am.reminded of bitter feuds between the hikers and mountain bikers in the Tiger Mountain preserve (Issaquah, WA) where wires were strung across trails that would catch a fast-moving biker at about throat height. i was keenly aware, as this was my “backyard playground” to ride and train for mtn bike racing some 30 years ago.
it takes a nasty individual to booby trap an open, public trail. i can’t begin to fathom that.

10 Likes

Either right wing militia types or it could be environmentalists? It’s Oregon so either is possible.

One thing, though is that the eco-terrorists of old have largely been rounded up and jailed, so if it’s an environmentalist group, it’s probably a new group? If you haven’t seen it, this is a good documentary about ELF and how they came to an end in the 2000s…

8 Likes

that sounds plausible. i hadn’t thought of that kind of actor. i first thought of illegal grow ops, but Oregon is a legal state. militia groups practicing guerrilla tactics is very on trend and makes me sick.

8 Likes

Illegal grow ops is also a possibility! So many options up in old Oregone (RIP, Denis!)!

7 Likes

Wasn’t this part of the plot of First Blood?

2 Likes

In these here parts the coal-roalin’ types think it’s a great lark to drag logs across the bike trails in the forest preserves.

4 Likes

Another option if the land is remote enough, people doing illegal stuff (stills, growing weed, etc) and trying to keep remote hikers and campers out.

I have heard tale of that happening in the Ozarks, but it’s just rumors.

1 Like

To whoever is doing it
mister rogers middle finger GIF

3 Likes

As a point of pedantry, these are clearly screws in the picture. You can see the threads. What a waste of good hardware, and poorly engineered as well. Keep it on your own property for the appropriate end time in any case.

1 Like

And it’s half-assed.
They didn’t even bother to drill pilot holes.
Amateurs!
/s