There is a one-of-a-kind Bigfoot trap in the forest of Jackson County, Oregon

Originally published at: There is a one-of-a-kind Bigfoot trap in the forest of Jackson County, Oregon | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Could some gormless human trapped in there get themselves out? (“Sure, just cell-phone up a buddy with an angle grinder”) Because if a human could get out surely a Sasquatch could …surely ("…don’t call me Shirley")

4 Likes

There’s definitely no signal there. That’s a very remote and mountainous area. You’d need a sat phone or e-pirb to get a message out.

6 Likes

Per Wikipedia, the trap’s door has been bolted open since 1980 for visitor safety so it’s not currently a concern. According to this article it used to have some kind of electronic alert that went to a guy staying in a nearby shack. Also, apparently it caught two bears.

11 Likes

Perhaps they haven’t captured Bigfoot because “Bigfoot” happens to be moonlighting as a US Forestry Service park ranger.

8 Likes

Or an extreme athlete:

3 Likes

bfeet

18 Likes

Well there’s no way you’ll catch him now, you’ve just broadcast the location of this thing - he’s sure to stay away from it. I mean, he’s Bigfoot, not stupid.

3 Likes

Strange as it may be, many Native American languages from the east coast to the west have a word for Bigfoot. Choctaw = Shampe, Chinook = Skookum, Salish = Sasquatch, and Navajo= Bekee Nitsaw. In the the Choctaw language at least, it’s not classified mythical, but factual. Interesting that such a creature pre-dates European contact.

1 Like

Only lasted 6 years in active use, then has been preserved for 40+ years to remind us of the stupidity. I love America!

2 Likes

And the funny thing is that it is only the second stupidest thing in Jackson County.

2 Likes

Is Jackson County where Global Dynamics has a scientific research facility? Lotsa weird stuff happens there.

Hey don’t talk smack, I loved the Oregon Vortex when I was a kid! Sure, it’s all BS but it’s fun BS!

2 Likes

No, it’s science! The very similar Santa Cruz Mystery Spot opened 9 years later in 1939. The Vortex guy sued, then dropped the suit because he wanted to maintain the claim that his stuff was legitimate natural phenomena, which can’t be copyrighted.

6 Likes

I always wanted to take my kid there, but their hours are extremely weird and they’re closed like half the year. My dad lives down in Jackson County so I’ll get back there one of these days. I’d love to visit again with an adult brain and a better understanding of those sorts of illusions.

Oh and the BS is just their claims about how it’s some weird feature of the area rather than mostly forced perspective illusions. Again, I loved that place, totally awesome.

They used the wrong bait.

5 Likes

Do you know how hard it is to find size 78 Converse All-Stars?

1 Like

If I were some early homo-something hominid that had survived (as a species) to the common era, I would totally want to enter that not-at-all-suspicious-looking not-at-all-natural-looking space.

Or… perhaps instead I would set up camp and watch the supposedly sapient something or others come around and maintain the thing?

Tho find him you should look in 1970’s Naples

Ohhh… that’s FLATfoot, sorry…

1 Like

Oh my God. I,ve just realised- Bigfoot is a clown!

2 Likes