Biden believes he's "on track to win this election"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/03/biden-believes-hes-on-track-to-win-this-election.html

8 Likes

:crossed_fingers:

10 Likes

538 agrees, though closer than the landslide projections timelines.

3 Likes

I’m flummoxed why no one seems to be considering the possibility that Trump outright stuffed the ballot in key states? He’s in significant legal trouble without the presidency. He has a loyal Postmaster General, and they ended normal police protection of the mail, yet everyone seem to think his respect for law and political norms will stop him from cheating…

3 Likes

He’s been saying the vote is rigged for 5 years now.

3 Likes

which is the surest sign that it has been rigged.

9 Likes

I’m so tired. I’m tired of watching us travel down this path that we’ve been on most of my life now. Moving away from progress, rejecting social reforms that benefit the people, becoming meaner, nastier, greedier.

So. Fucking. Tired.

It hurts because everyone I love is a target now. The country I valued - one that really only existed in myth, never reality, but was a beautiful dream - is on the chopping block and is being cut to pieces. I’m so fucking tired of fighting and marching and screaming and voting until I’m hoarse to get people to listen, only to have them spit in my face while they vote for some of the worst pieces of trash we’ve ever produced.

I’m tired. And it’s an exhaustion that can’t be slaked by sleep. We got the numbers. We did what we were supposed to do, buried them in votes. And at best, we MAYBE can hope to still eke out a tiny victory from this if Biden manages to pull it out, but one that won’t amount to meaningful change with the GOP still in charge of the senate. And if he loses, which is every bit as likely at this point?

I’m tired, folks. To the bone, the core. Every inch of me.

37 Likes

This has been the hardest thing for me as well. Learning just how much of an illusion the country I was raised to believe I lived in really was. And it’s not like I got the sugar-coated sunshine and rainbows version of history; I knew the US had done horrible, barbaric, unforgivable things in its past by the time I was in 5th grade. But to see it all still there, just waiting for an excuse to crawl back out of the shadows that only barely concealed it, powered by people whose grasp of reality I can’t even begin to fathom despite functioning like anyone else in day-to-day life, has been deeply, deeply shattering.

It’s absolutely exhausting, trying to have faith in humanity when so much of it is apparently willing to shove my face into the dirt as soon as look at me.

16 Likes

I keep trying to convince myself that the human race isn’t inherently evil, just inherently stupid.

3 Likes

"The patterns of human history mix decency and depravity in equal measure. We often assume, therefore, that such a fine balance of results must emerge from societies made of decent and depraved people in equal numbers.

But we need to expose and celebrate the fallacy of this conclusion …

Good and kind people outnumber all others by thousands to one. The tragedy of human history lies in the enormous potential for destruction in rare acts of evil, not in the high frequency of evil people. Complex systems can only be built step by step, whereas destruction requires but an instant."

– Stephen Jay Gould, “Apple Brown Bettys Into the Breach”, https://www.seattlepi.com/local/opinion/article/Apple-brown-bettys-into-the-breach-1067052.php

9 Likes

there, ftfy

2 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

6 Likes

Conversation continued here:

3 Likes