Biden drops out of the race for President

We will never not live in unprecedented times.

Yep. And as someone once said (paraphrasing), in politics, a week is a lifetime.

9 Likes

Ah, you may be on to something there, if this applies, and it would appear to.

However! This would seem to apply from Section D: If a vacancy in the office of United States senator occurs one hundred fifty days or less before the next regular primary election date, the person who is appointed shall serve until the vacancy is filled at the second regular general election held after the vacancy occurs, and the person elected shall fill the remaining unexpired term of the vacated office.

In other words, his replacement would not be up for election this November, but the following general election.

Thankfully, neither of us non-experts in Arizona law are going to be tasked with providing a memo on this.

1 Like

Maybe (conspiracy theory alert) he planned this all along and timed it deliberately so that there would be close to zero internal fighting to distract from the need to attack Trump (and for it to be done with the person with the best standing in the party - all others would be painted by Tump as inexperienced opportunists).

(And this is mere speculation for its own sake. At this point it is hardly relevant, I admit.)

I can almost feel the excitement in large sections of the US, from here in the UK. I said after Trump was shot that I was scared (because it made him far more likely to win). Now I am just slightly more relaxed, but need to see Harris and the Dems mount a gloves-off, no-quarter-given campaign. Go for it!

11 Likes

Given the importance of the battleground states due to our electoral college system, it seems obvious to choose a VP that can generate positive interest and excitement in one or more of those states.

3 Likes

I’m all for reducing presidential campaigns to something that takes <120 days.

7 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me if this was planned in specifics for at least 5 days or so. If so, this discussion had to be within a very tight circle. It seems the Democratic party campaign efforts in swing states had no idea until after it was announced.

3 Likes

Yep, I’m reading that the same way.

It’s not very well written, though, since it contradicts section A.

5 Likes

I just sent Kamala $10 via ActBlue to add to the absolute rout in fundraising she’s put on Trump in the last 24 hours — over $100MM and counting in small donations. Let’s do this.

13 Likes

I personally think Andy Beshear the Democratic governor of Kentucky would be a good choice. He’s been really effective pushing good policies forward in a more typically red state. Also senator Mark Kelly from Arizona would probably be a good choice, and help shore up that swing state.

Classically, most VP choices are about picking a candidate who can help out additionally in a state that isn’t already in the likely win column. So I’m very sure the VP pick will be someone from a nominally red state.

3 Likes

I sure as fuck don’t. About two seconds after Biden endorsed her, I looked at my wife and said “She’s got my vote”. Wife: “Same”.

11 Likes

Kyle Mooney Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

14 Likes

Pizza Yes GIF

9 Likes

I do not have a finger on the pulse of the Swiftie culture but our 39 year old daughter does.

She says they are coming to life for Kamala.

And, apparently, “you think you just fell out of a coconut tree” is trending big.

I really gotta get out more.

I feel some t-shirts need to be made.

25 Likes

Excited Lets Go GIF by 2023 MTV Video Music Awards

19 Likes

From what I’ve been reading, support for Kamla Harris is all over the various online spaces. The Hill even had an article explaining the Coconut tree thing :joy: the memes flow. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/07/22/entertainment/charli-xcx-kamala-harris-brat-meme
I want Taylor Swift to endorse Harris. Swift has a lot of power, as we saw when she encouraged her fans to register. If Beyonce also endorses Harris, that would be huge

I am wondering about the ppl over at the Atlantic. This just boggles my fucking mind. I couldn’t read the entire thing and after the first part, just couldn’t be bothered to go find a copy in archive.

and now, in haste, the Democrats are making a colossal error and ensuring that they will reap as little advantage from Biden’s decision as possible. The error is not the choice of Kamala Harris. It is the sudden rallying behind her, the torrent of endorsements, right after Biden’s self-removal. Biden’s senescence was only part of the party’s crisis. The other part was the impression that Democratic politics felt like a game rigged by insiders to favor a candidate of their choice, and to isolate that candidate from the risk associated with campaigning. For 27 minutes, between the time Biden announced his withdrawal and the time he broke the seal on Harris endorsements by bestowing his, the contest felt thrillingly, bracingly wide-open. The Democrats should have kept it open all the way into the convention next month, in Chicago.

I am not political scientist at Yale. But what?! Leaving potential candidates to spend all their time attacking each other instead of Trump?

21 Likes

Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

What kind of dumb shit is that! That’s how we win! Idiots.

23 Likes

But that kind of enthusiasm will wind up translating to voter turnout!
:thinking:

17 Likes

Oh My God Omg GIF

But we were on a sure march to a new trump term!!! /s

12 Likes

Sure sounds like that was the goal

11 Likes

What could be more exciting than living in a dictatorship! The Germans sure made it look like fun! The independent media was fine, right? /s

15 Likes