Biden gets Covid hours after saying he'd drop out of race if "some medical condition" emerged (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/18/biden-gets-covid-hours-after-saying-hed-drop-out-of-race-if-some-medical-condition-emerged-video.html

2 Likes

The Veil Ugh GIF by FX Networks

14 Likes

yeah…

Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

11 Likes

What a perfect storm these last few weeks have become. I imagine future generations approaching this history with incredulity.

12 Likes

Depends on the outcome of the election, me thinks.

12 Likes

Saw a headline that said something like trump survives a gunshot, Biden succumbs to a virus.

Jesus fucking christ, what the fuck? is all I can say.

12 Likes

I bet it looks different in the Official History™

*goes off to sit quietly and maybe cry

9 Likes

I think he meant something like cancer or actual diagnosis of dementia (which TBC, I don’t think he has).

Hopefully he is up on his shots and gets a mild case.

12 Likes

There is always the danger of historians going rogue…

The good ones, at least… the shitty ones are almost always yes men.

12 Likes

Good grief people, it’s not like he’s been put on a ventilator! At least he’s isolating. I’m pretty sure all the goons in Milwaukee are spreading it around carelessly.

10 Likes

I hadn’t heard about him mentioning a “medical condition,” but I have to say when I looked at the news this morning and first saw “Biden is “more receptive” to hearing pleas to exit the race”, and then “Biden tests positive for Covid”, a cynical part of me instantly wondered whether this was someone’s engineered exit strategy.

I think it would be a really bad look to exit the race like that though. As someone who has been more open to the idea of replacing him with Harris than many on this forum (I think it could potentially look like a great moment of putting the country before the person, in stark contest to TFG, but I don’t need to argue that again now) this would be the worst way for him to exit, because it would look weak, instead of principled.

3 Likes

aw, maybe not (or at least just between themselves);

12 Likes

That’s cute that he thinks they won’t go. I’m reminded of the old joke about Baptists not meeting each others’ eyes when they pass in the liquor store.

10 Likes

Report: Most Americans Now Getting Their News While Peeking Out Between Fingers

11 Likes

hey, its at least a very neat and creative try, you have to give them that.

1 Like

So terrified of a Trump presidency and loosing "down ballot " that they’ve thrown
grandpa under the bus.

O.K., who’s riding in on a white horse to save us?
Kamala is competent enough as far as I can determine,
so fill the V.P. with a centrist and move on. You’re now running
on defeating Project 2025 .
The only bright spot is the Repubs will have to re shoot all their
commercials .

3 Likes

If Biden drops out, or is pushed out, the ensuing fight over who will replace him will damage all possible candidates immeasurably.

4 Likes

That’s certainly one outcome. Not the only one. Let’s not assume anything is inevitable here.

Ice T Idk GIF by Law & Order

8 Likes

posted with no additional comment:

3 Likes

One can hope. However, nothing I’ve read on social media, Washington Post, or CNN has given me any warm fuzzies that there is a choice the party will all immediately rally around without any debate or trying to pick a different choice first.

What’s even worse is that the person exists. I just don’t believe the party will accept her without a fight first. Even though, it is the only real plan.

1 Like