Big blue penis painted legally on the side of building shocks Stockholm residents, who demand it be taken down

Honestly, people could walk around buck naked for all I care, as long as they don’t leave skid marks on the seating. There’s nothing inherently harmful about nudity. I’d still wear clothes because I like to even if I didn’t have to, and I’m sure a lot of people would even if nudity were completely socially acceptable. But other people au naturel is immaterial to me so long as it doesn’t hurt public hygiene. Just don’t expect hugs from me.

12 Likes

We would get along sooo well in 3D life.

10 Likes

Honestly, I’m surprised they’re upset by it, in Sweden of all places. Previous kerfuffles about giant genitalia paintings in public spaces in Sweden involved a few individuals having issues and everyone else telling them to get over it. (Maybe people are upset here because they wanted a giant vulva instead?) She did a “smiling vagina” mural at an elementary school previously that was slightly controversial, though (and I think was eventually ordered to be covered up by a local school authority, despite support for it by the principal).

6 Likes

Right?

5 Likes

Friend, co-conspirator, to-may-to, to-mah-to.

5 Likes

I actually think this is an interesting study in how “context!” isn’t always a meaningful response when assessing something offensive because people perceive the context itself differently. Is the context a home or an art museum?(yes, graffiti plays on this of course) Maybe there’s an argument to be made that people should be more open about genitalia related matters, but I can also see coming home to one’s personal sanctuary after a long, hard (ahem…) day, and not wanting to see a giant erect cock. Yes, maybe this is in the category of provocative art intended to force people to confront something they usually ignore, but I imagine there’s a lot of things y’all would rather I didn’t bring to your house and force you to confront no matter how much I think you need to. Something about this strikes me as a little too close to when someone insists that you just, like, need to just get over your sexual hangups. Maybe, maybe not, but it should be up to you to decide when and how you get over them.

The common thread whenever art like this happens is that visitors like it and neighbors complain. Personally, I think it’s wonderful- but I can understand not want to see it every day, in my home.

Redundant, or is there an actual difference?

1 Like

her work is very nice, i also like rokudenishiko, the japanese artist who uses casting and 3-d prints of her own vagina for dioramas and sculptures. of course she has had run-ins with japanese censorship laws but the combination of whimsy and social commentary makes her pieces truly wonderful. i particularly love her kayaks.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Vagina Kayak Woman?

Lurve her!

6 Likes

I think the point may be that it’s only a big deal if you make it out to be. I’d drive my kid down the street, and say “look, it’s a giant blue weiner!” and we’d have the elementary school giggles for a long while.

Like here in the USA, we’re shocked I say, absolutely shocked when someone whips out a boob. Janet Jackson at the superbowl? OMG!!! Some mom feeding her baby anywhere? Where is the decency squad/morality police? In other countries the reaction is more of “meh, it’s a boob. So what?”.

8 Likes

13 Likes

I was friends as a kid with a German family, and it was pretty awesome as a teen to have to explain that my friend’s older sister really shouldn’t take her top off at our local So. Cal beach…

7 Likes

yeah, she’s great. her story and her style are just so amazing to me.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Except noise is intrusive and harder to acclimate to and can do medical damage.

This? After a while most residents wouldn’t even notice it. Then maybe it becomes a landmark (“it’s the building across the street from the blue penis”). People live with dick graffiti around them all the time, and most probably don’t even know it’s there.

Now, me, personally? I wouldn’t like it, but I wouldn’t be happy with any public art installation right across from me, but I think the thing that would most offend me would be the tittering idiots showing up, not the mural itself.

5 Likes

Big blue penis

Pfff, I’ve seen bluer.

2 Likes

Or what it means. When I was a kid, we regularly drove past a grocery store upon which “Ed is dickless” was spray painted. This being my family, no one ever said a word or cracked wise. After a few months Grandma comes to visit and as we drive by she reads out loud “Ed… is… dickless… Huh, I wonder what that means?”

Vaginas, pussies and cunts? Her talent knows no bounds!

(I kid, I think this is actually a really great way to challenge norms.)

I like cock. I like this cock but the mural does represent it in a state of sexual arousal and is presented publicly with no option for consent by the general public.

We’ve been concealing genitalia for quite some time and it is more than a social taboo - others have already made the point that this is about sexual display not just a simple aesthetic.

There are plenty of things that I don’t want to see – images of human defecation, war, cruelty and suffering, Donald Trump; some things have to go on the “prohibited publicly" list to allow people to opt in, some we have to endure to sustain freedom of expression.

I’d rather look at an erect cock or a vulva than Trump but I don’t judge the mores of society because a substantial majority thinks that he is more acceptable.

1 Like

I don’t think I’d respond positively to a nude guy walking down the street with an erection even if he wasn’t directing it at anyone in particular.

2 Likes