Bill Maher's prediction about Trump's "slow coup" could easily happen

17 Likes

I marvel at her insistence the republicans have policies that can win. They don’t have any policies, they couldn’t be bothered. Their policy is Trump, that’s it. And spewing whatever bullshit they think will get them cheers from their partisan crowds.

I don’t know how you can convince enough of the disinterested to support the dems, but that’s where the effort is needed. The other folks don’t seem to be reachable.

17 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. Just checked my calendar, and the Biden administration hasn’t even been in place for nine months, we’ve got three elections facing us before 2024, and there’s no such thing as a crystal ball or magical, instant change in U.S. government. :woman_shrugging:t4:

Pointing that out doesn’t stop doomsayers and political purists from whining and/or demanding that those against the GOP/GQP must try to put completely unrealistic solutions into place (like supporting unelectable candidates, changing the entire two-party system, eliminating corporate influence, etc.).

Exactly. Focusing on realistic goals and working on progress through changes at the local and state levels of government is a more productive strategy. Continuing the efforts to educate the public about how our institutions actually function would be helpful, too. After a few years of consistent work, oversight, and fighting against the forces promoting a quick fix and/or general misinformation, this prediction should turn out to be completely wrong.

17 Likes

They’ve had less of a hand, unfortunately.

2 Likes

You just out-“gotcha’d” Mr. Gotcha.

10 Likes

Social media probably.

Or Fox News, wishing daily it wasn’t a bunch RINO’S

1 Like

And their plans include high powered guns and body armor, while Democrat plans include sternly worded letters etc…

If push comes to shove, people who haven’t armed up and trained are going to have to go against those who have… You’d better hope that none of these coup predictions comes true.

5 Likes

If anything, it’s comforting that someone as wrong about everything as Bill Maher is predicting it.

14 Likes

Seriously. My five year old child understands this concept. When the choices aren’t good, you pick the one that will do the most good.

21 Likes

I honestly am surprised we live in a country that has one party literally using every loophole in the book combined with their bought and paid for Supreme Court to literally circumvent the constitution, and people are still trying to both sides the situation and minimizing Trump. There is no lower low than stacking a court and literally ignoring a country’s foundational legal framework to maintain minority control.

18 Likes

TAX CUTS TAX CUTS TAX CUTS

… and then trying to default on the Debt the next time a Democrat is in the White House

11 Likes

Community theater, adult dance clubs, abusive YouTube pet videos…?

7 Likes

I stand corrected. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Bill Maher is 100% right on this.

He routinely asked prominent democrats leading up to the election what they would do when Trump rejected the election. Nobody I saw was able to answer the question. They would avoid it and pass it off as a joke question. Even after Jan 6th Democrats are still sleep walking through what appears to me to be the end of the American experiment.

2 Likes

Totally gives “tickets to the inauguration” a new meaning though.

6 Likes

“Where their political tribe isn’t in the majority,”

I really dislike this sentence.

It’s false balance.

Thus isn’t about two “tribes”. There’s only one tribe here, the cult of Trump. It’s just an effect of the US two party system which makes it look as if there’s only two groups.

There aren’t.

In a parliamentary system there’d be multiple splits now, even on the right spectrum.

Not on the us, though. Pretty much any sensible centrist/left position has to look for the democrats.

4 Likes

Definitely my new band name.

13 Likes

What could prominent Democrats say or do to make Trump or his party respect the outcome of the election? Ask nicely? Appeal to reason? Let the Republicans have the do-over they wanted? Throw 40% of American voters in prison?

16 Likes

I get that they need to work through the escalation process, but I also get frustrated when they act like the filibuster is some kind of sacred thing. It isn’t. Get over it and get shit done. #1 on the priority list has to be voting rights laws. It’s existential.

15 Likes

I voted for Jill Stein in 2016, but I knew my state would go for Clinton without me, and it did

The problem is nobody is really engaging at that level of complexity—strategic voting might nudge the powerful in the right direction, but talking about it just confuses people and makes them upset

We now know somebody like Trump can win even when polls say he’s certain to lose, and there is no point in making it any more complicated than “just please show up and vote for the other guy”

8 Likes