Billionaire Bloomberg decides not to run for president

Nate Silver prediction for Clinton (Blue) / Bloomberg (Green) / Trump (Red).

I am unconvinced.

EDIT: Link to related article.

1 Like

Iā€™d been hoping for a brokered convention with Cruz winning and Trump stomping out and running independently, but Romney instead of Cruz might be even better.

(I think Bloombergā€™s done a lot better polling than I have, so if he thinks heā€™d draw enough more votes from Democrats than Republicans that Trump would win, I wonā€™t whine about him withdrawing from the race. Much. Would have been fun to watch, though, hope we can trick The Donald into running on his own as a Bull Moose candidate.)

I see why you donā€™t have your own late night talk show.

2 Likes

Hey, I heard that in Lenoā€™s voice!

1 Like

The best people.

2 Likes

Yes letā€™s not forget that nickname

ā€¦or that his son is named ā€œtagā€

3 Likes

So his ego is marginally smaller than Trumpā€™s.

Number of world class cities run by Bloomberg: 1
Number run by @beschizza: 0

Sorry Rob but thereā€™s no evidence he is a moron.

2 Likes

No way. The Republican voters who love Trump hate establishment candidates. No way theyā€™re going for Romney any more than they would go for Ryan, Rubio, or Kasich. ANY brokered convention that settles on anyone other than Trump, hands the election to any Democratic opponent.

Iā€™m unconvinced Clinton will win the D nomination.

Ala Ross Perot.

The question then would be, who would play him on Saturday Night Live and how funny could they make it?

1 Like

Saturday Night Live is funny?

1 Like

Iā€™m not nearly as upset by people who start a career in politics with great wealth as I am with those who end one that way.

It used to be. Or at least I was young enough to think it wasā€¦

I only remember the 70s to very early 80s SNL. Ya know what? Steve Martinā€™s comedy didnā€™t pass the test of time. Nor did most of the rest.

Right, because buying money with power is evil and corrupt.

Buying power with money is fine.

3 Likes

Beschizza,

Iā€™ll be charitable and assume youā€™re calling Bloomberg a moron because heā€™s not running.

Bloombergā€™s analysis, that heā€™ll peel off the ā€œreasonableā€ vote, and let a radical Republican in, is not out of the question. From the other side, Perot did the same thing, twice, peeling off the ā€œunreasonableā€ vote, and handing victories to Bill Clinton.

At the very least, heā€™d introduce a chaotic element which could be hazardous and upend the current electoral equation that gives Hillary a good chance at defeating Cruz and a easy romp at defeating Trump. (Yeah, I know: Sorry, Bernie. Not this time.)

1 Like

That is how 99.9% of the world works. It may not be fine but it is realistic.

What makes me skeptical of Bloomberg is that the only thing he seems to bring to the table is ā€˜not terribly dissimilar from Clinton; but not Clinton, which is a big deal for some peopleā€™.

The republicans had plenty of basically-aligned-with-the-financial-sector-but-inadequately-charismatic-or-xenophobic options; and they brutally culled them all. The democrats still have one; though her coronation isnā€™t going quite as smoothly as expected.

Being able to self-fund is obviously handy; but I just donā€™t see what distinctive characteristics Bloomberg brings to the table. Trump, by contrast, doesnā€™t bring good distinguishing characteristics; but oh boy does he bring them(as does Cruz, in his slightly different flavor of awful).

4 Likes

Surely the US Presidency isnā€™t much more sordid than personal involvement with the Miss America pageants or WWF wrestling?

1 Like

Though if the nation is as hungry for a cocky financial stongman as they seem from Trumpā€™s ascendancy, you could hardly do better than a guy who scoffed at term limitsā€¦