Billionaire chronicles

Or because it’s another garish example of what a fucked-up neoliberal kleptocracy the entire world seems headed toward becoming.

11 Likes

Are you implying that his dinghy is still very small, regardless of the size of his yacht?

@teknocholer How many Jai Alai arenas is that?

4 Likes

Well, of course. That and the Imperial units.

3 Likes

Don’t know, but it’s about 0.80 kilodildos (Roman).

3 Likes

Great…now I have to convert that to Swedish

3 Likes

Are you suggesting there’s a significant difference?

3 Likes

Well, it’s not the size that matters, it’s how you use it.

The Swedish system uses the width rather than the length

ETA: On topic

It’s pretty small

3 Likes

I kind of wonder if buying yachts is the thing because they think they can leave on them if civilization collapses. I mean, they keep picking really high maitenance ships, but it wouldn’t be the first time they completed overlooked just how important society is to everything they do.

It could of course always also just be that one guy liked boats, and the rest have literally no ideas for what to do with their money except copying status symbols, like the villain in The Italian Job. :man_shrugging:

14 Likes

That’s been my theory for years. As for the maintenance, they’re even offering classes on how to treat the help better so their armed security guards don’t throw them overboard at the first opportunity.

ETA: @j9c covered this above Billionaire chronicles - #221 by j9c

10 Likes

They get to have famous musicians etc as guests for a few days that would normally wouldn’t be seen with them.

And they probably Epstein it up in international waters.

6 Likes

Just like bunkers and Zombie apocalypse compounds, superyachts (especially sailing ones) depend on the crew, who would dump their billionaire masters in the ocean if the shit hits the fan.

8 Likes

That’s short sighted if you have food available. Billionaires are valuable. I mean, there’s got to be some post-apocalyptic warlord who would be willing to do great favors for the privilege of being the one to eliminate Jeff Bezos personally.

12 Likes

And if you don’t- there’s another use for them.

9 Likes

Original or remake?

2 Likes

Uh Oh Reaction GIF by Tricia  Grace

3 Likes

Maybe? I think it also might be just a thing, one among many, but it’s the one that gets highlighted because it seems so luxurious.

Yachts are also out there in the open, harder to tuck out of our sight than say, owning 8 houses, or 38 cars, or thousands of acres of land.

9 Likes

Yeah, but even against adversaries, isn’t it fairly easy to set a yacht alight?

3 Likes

I’m thinking of the 2003 remake. It was I thought a neat distinction between the protagonist thieves and villain…the first all had dreams for the money, the second took it as an end in itself. I know pieces of the original but not if that kind of thing was part of it.

4 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/billionaires-self-isolating-superyachts/index.html

4 Likes

I’d think a sailboat would be a better option.

1 Like