Billionaire chronicles

6 Likes

More of this please.

6 Likes

Y’know, in all my thinking about resilience and networks and communities and whatever else I have been doing to prepare for hard times, I seem to have forgotten…

… flammable moats. Hmm.

Mahdawi is hilarious as usual, in that grim, superlative, “laugh to keep from crying” way.

Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

3 Likes

Methinks someone is trying to unload that rundown “Excalibur” hotel on the Vegas strip by upselling it as a post-apocalyptic warlord’s citadel.

4 Likes

Note to self: set up a series of shell companies that promise to bio- engineer moat monsters in exchange for research funding. Insert greedy laugh emoji.

4 Likes

Meh.

Everyone knows that the only real way to protect yourself from invaders is to dig down through the caverns to the great magma sea, then build a magma-safe pump stack to bring magma to the surface to fill your moat when a lever is pulled.

Hide behind drawbridge, pull lever, wait for FUN to commence.

5 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

Another one? Isn’t Zuckerberg doing the same on Kauai?

6 Likes

I guess Hawaii is the new New Zealand. :cry:

6 Likes

Benioff is doing the classic supervillian-active volcano lair. If Zuck is trying to do that on Kauai, he missed it by 400,000 years…

s reactions no GIF

5 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/03/politics/dark-money-searle-foundation-invs/index.html

How the family fortune behind a major American pharma company has quietly funded conservative causes

https://trashpanda-x.github.io/darklantern/#Searle%20Freedom%20Trust

At least this one has a self-destruct timer.

7 Likes
5 Likes

FB_IMG_1709600597709

19 Likes
1 Like
9 Likes

RETIRED NAVY FOUR-STAR Adm. William McRaven — highly paid leadership guru, business consultant, and special operations commander — received a $50 million “Courage and Civility Award” from richest-person-on-Earth Amazon founder Jeff Bezos this past week. Actress Eva Longoria received the other half of the $100 million grant: the exact amount the Bezos-owned Washington Post lost last year before cutting nearly 10 percent of its staff.

For Bezos, the Post’s financial woes are mere pocket change. (With his net worth of $200 billion, covering the Washington Post’s financial deficit would be the equivalent of a person making $100,000 a year paying $50 to save over 200 jobs.) All of which is ironic given that Bezos says his motivation for buying the newspaper was “stewardship.”

10 Likes

Oh man this is going to get really interesting, assuming that the financial forensics can trace where all the loot went. It will be… instructive.

11 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes