Billionare GOP donor Koch dumps DeSantis for Haley

Originally published at: Billionare GOP donor Koch dumps DeSantis for Haley | Boing Boing

2 Likes

trump will be the gQp nominee so, Koch bro is throwing his endorsement into the air like confetti in the wind.

7 Likes

"When we announced our decision to engage in our first ever Republican presidential primary, we made it clear that we’d be looking for a candidate who can turn the page on our political dysfunction — and win. "

Translation: “We didn’t like the way the last president we bought turned out. Time to buy a new one.”

10 Likes

Enjoy that Long Knife in your back, Ronnie. This is how it often goes with your fellow fascists.

9 Likes

Interesting how Koch finds rationalizations to set his bigotry aside.

3 Likes

I think the Koch’s are banking on Trump eventually being forced out. I dunno, Trump was NOT a clear contender in 2016 until some primary showings boosted his numbers. Maybe if Haley can do well she can gain momentum? I dunno…

1 Like

And today I received my third fundraising text from Haley. Or “Nikki” as the text’s are signed.

You have miles of Koch money but you want measly pennies?

(And how I got on her text list is a mystery.)

4 Likes

So has Koch publicly said anywhere what his beef with the Shaitgibbon is?

2 Likes

Is it necessary to name just one?

1 Like

I got one text mentioning Haley. Not sure why she’s trying to fundraise by texting Massachusetts numbers but immediate block and delete.

The last time Massachusetts went for the Republican candidate was Reagan in 1984, when I was way too young to vote (and not living in Massachusetts) and even then Mondale was pretty close to winning the state (51.22% to 48.43%). Mondale only won DC and his home state of Minnesota (and even that was close, winning by 0.18%!)

Haley, Ronald Reagan you are not.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen anything public, but I’m sure that the chaos Biff brought with him was not good for the smooth operation of business as usual, which along with lower corporate and top-bracket personal taxes (which any Republican will try to deliver) is the only thing Koch cares about.

1 Like

Koch wants someone who isn’t going to turn over the apple cart, shit all over the apples, and then throw them at him. Trump isn’t manageable. Nikki Haley is.

8 Likes

Probably the same reason Republicans love coming to California to beg for money even though the state leans blue. You campaign where you can win over the voters, but you fundraise where you can find sympathetic rich people. The latter don’t have to be a majority of the population to help you win.

4 Likes

I wonder what the end goal even is for Koch at this point. The dude’s 88 years old, and last I checked, science has not reached the point where you can download yourself into a robot, no matter how much money you have. Even if you assume Haley can win against Trump in the primary (she can’t) and she manages to push America a wee bit further into the late stage capitalism hellscape than Trump would have, does that even move the needle on the net worth of a guy like this? Statistically speaking, just living through one more presidential term isn’t a great bet. What does he get? A few more minutes in his Scrooge McDuck money pile? I’m guessing he’s not leaving a bunch of money to charity when he dies or setting up a foundation that helps…anybody. Is it just pure spite for the future?

2 Likes

As near as I can tell, it’s professional jealousy or personal animosity. Koch has wanted to establish an antidemocratic oligarchy, supports Putin and the same fascist ideology that cosplays as conservative in contemporary Republican politics. There’s not a lot of daylight between their ideology. My guess is Koch and Trump felt the other wasn’t deferential enough to them, and both men are happy to set the world on fire out of spite.

1 Like

Leave a legacy, as Great Men® are wont to do! Blaze a trail. Set an example. Etc.

Never mind that he could do just that by doing something nice and beneficial.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. One person’s “spitting on the future” is another person’s “brilliant legacy,” I suppose.

2 Likes

I just want a Koch-backed politician to be the nominee because then we can refer to everyone who falls for their propaganda as “Koch suckers”.

3 Likes

Koch’s a true believer in 19th-century robber-baron capitalism and neo-feudalism (powered by unfettered resource extraction and cheap dark-skinned labour). He wants it restored in America, whether or not he lives to see it.

4 Likes

“The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interrèd with their bones.”
– “Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene II”, William Shakespeare

Not that I can think offhand of any good that either of the Kochs might have done, but maybe they were kind to their cat or something.

2 Likes