Billy Dare, in "Fighting Evil, in Time"

Originally published at: Billy Dare, in "Fighting Evil, in Time" | Boing Boing

15 Likes

At least when Sauron was defeated, he was gone for good. Ka-Blooie!

15 Likes

It did take a couple of attempts, though.

8 Likes

34 Likes

Joe Biden Reaction GIF by Election 2020

20 Likes

Does this comic depict a reasonable concern? Hitler was 35 in 1924. He had plenty of energy and longevity remaining at that point. Mass-Murdering Traitor Trump is now 74 and has no real energy outside the occasional amphetamine-induced bout of rage. Of course, Trump’s father lived to be 94, even though his final 6 years were spent in Alzheimer’s delirium, so 74 is not the end of the world for Donald Trump.

The picture is murky. Trump’s combined lack of intellect and education are not necessarily an impediment to a proto-dictator. More important by far are brutality, ruthlessness, and willpower. Perhaps fortunately, Trump has only one of these characteristics, the dull brutality of a wounded beast. He is clearly a weakling and coward. I believe we are relatively safe from a movement actually controlled by him.

On the other hand, GOP oligarchs want figureheads rather than leaders, for obvious reasons. The Cult of Trump might be enough of a tool for them, even if Trump himself is an obese, babbling half-wit pushed around in a wheelchair and kept awake only by stimulants.

10 Likes

7 Likes

Isn’t that four things? Although it is hard to choose.

3 Likes

Well, The way Uncle Joe is signing those exec. orders, it’s climbing daily.

6 Likes

It remains to be seen whether Trumpism is a movement that will outlast him.

I do not take it as a given that the Nazi movement would have been rendered harmless if Hitler had been taken off the board in the mid-1920s.

18 Likes

If Trump is Morgoth, then who is Sauron?

5 Likes

6 Likes

German communists could have taken over and we would still have WWII. Germany was breaking the Treaty of Versailles as early as 1919 and rearming (14 years before Nazis took power). Just because the leadership may not be Nazis doesn’t mean Germany didn’t feel it had scores to settle.

3 Likes

The score to settle part is what worries me.

6 Likes

I don’t take that as a given either. It’s not like Hitler was the only fascist in Germany.

14 Likes

Indeed, there wasn’t much Röhm to manoeuvre among the mob of wannabe dictators.

9 Likes

Well, there’s the Lenin/Stalin angle to consider, which has actually worried me somewhat over the last few years. Trump gets the MAGA crowd into power, and is succeeded by…

2 Likes

Tom Cotton

3 Likes

Trump is the symptom, not the disease. There are plenty of other people who could take over.

18 Likes

German communists would not have had the endless territorial adventurism that drove Hitler. (For that matter, neither would Hitler’s henchmen.)

3 Likes