"Bioreactor dome" and drug cocktail enables frog to regrow lost leg

Originally published at: "Bioreactor dome" and drug cocktail enables frog to regrow lost leg | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I think they misspelled “Bacta tank”.

6 Likes

Next up:

8 Likes

The new limbs had bone structure extended with features similar to a natural limb’s bone structure, a richer complement of internal tissues, including neurons, and several “toes” grew from the end of the limb, although without the support of underlying bone

(emphasis mine)

Huh, so it grew “a limb” rather than an actual (or functional) leg, per se. Interesting. Soon they’ll hopefully be able to fully regenerate frogs’ legs. (Thus making les cuisse de grenouille a fully sustainable food!)

10 Likes
2 Likes

This reminds me of a scene in the final season of The Expanse. A guy has his arm amputated, and the doctor sticks his stump in a clear jar of some sort of yellow fluid. After a few days, a new arm starts to grow.

A grown man with a baby arm in jar. He looked like a crab.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Baby Legs

5 Likes

You had me at Bioreactor Dome… wait. what?

I have a memory of reading an article about using magnetism to regrow a child’s fingertip. I think it was in Wired but like so many of my memories, it may not have actually happened at all.

A quick google reveals that children may regrow fingertips, but adults can’t.

1 Like

Twin helps other twin to regrow thumb:

I remember hearn bout this a while ago. One of the twins was a scientist experimenting w/a powder.

2 Likes
  1. I don’t remember this. I looked up the scientist, Dr Stephen Badylak from Pitt. I found a short 2019 TEDx talk by him summarizing the research problems with regeneration.
1 Like

“Bioreactor dome” made me think of Silent Running.

2 Likes

2 Likes

tumblr_mjl175o5CZ1rdutw3o1_400

mmm one frog = unlimited supply of boneless legs… can they do this with a chicken? … or a french fry?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.