Bizarro tycoon Vivek Ramaswamy: I "don’t believe" the 9/11 Commission report

Originally published at: Bizarro tycoon Vivek Ramaswamy: I "don't believe" the 9/11 Commission report | Boing Boing

4 Likes

And the irony of these two contradicting statements is totally lost on brainiac here:

"I don’t believe the government has told us the truth. I’m driven by evidence and data.

I haven’t seen evidence to the contrary, but do I believe everything the government told us about it? Absolutely not.

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

32 Likes

Why didn’t he say that in the first place?

Because he didn’t mean that, but when he got rightfully called out for it, that was his fall back lie. “See? Now don’t YOU look stupid for not thinking I had a point! Hah!”

14 Likes

Ramaswamy has at least this much figured out – the modern GOP doesn’t want civilized and sane politicians; it wants howling maniacs, unapologetic assholes, and Nazis. However, though he’ll do better than Pence, Scott, or Christie, I doubt he has the juice to take out Trump or DeSantis, partly because the party’s other requirement for candidates, racism, means he’ll never be taken seriously.

17 Likes

If I had $660M in assets, all I can say is that the last thing I would be doing would be trying to get in front of a camera and pretending to run for President on some bullshit like this guy is spewing.

What the hell is wrong with you?

13 Likes

Why not? It worked for the last guy…up until recently anyway.

6 Likes

All I can do is repeat what I said before in 2015, “What the hell is wrong with you?” If this is living one’s best life, that is truly sad.

6 Likes

Ramaswamy is a con artist. The companies he’s started have never been successful. At least one of them failed completely and no longer exists. He got rich by convincing other people to invest their money in his businesses, and then paying himself handsomely. He’s really just a venture capitalist version of Trump.

16 Likes

Apologies for a tangential “y’know what really grinds my gears”, but of current business-speak (and often among the babble of the fine gentleman here featured), various forms of “evidence based” or “data driven” wins the gormless award. You’re oh so cool because you’re using ‘data’ or ‘evidence’ to make decisions? As opposed to what? religious epiphany? a roll of the D12 you keep in your vest pocket? All rational decisions amount to “data driven” including opening a door before walking in! there. thank you. we return you to national politics already in progress.

16 Likes

I think you have the wrong word emphasized there.

All rational decisions amount to “data driven”

12 Likes

Hm, this was well timed with Cory Doctorow’s recent writing on “VC Qanon”. Too convenient, this must be a conspiracy!

6 Likes

From t’Wiki:

Forbes reported Ramaswamy may have paid an editor to alter his Wikipedia page to appear more favorable to political conservatives before announcing his campaign by removing references to his Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowship for New Americans postgraduate fellowship and his involvement with the Ohio COVID-19 Response Team. Paul and Daisy Soros are respectively the elder brother and sister-in-law of businessman and social activist George Soros, who has been the subject of numerous conspiracy theories by American conservatives.

Looks like indulging conspiracy theorists is something of a trend with this guy.

8 Likes

As I’ve been saying for a while, and as Krugman quotes, “it’s impossible to overstate the degree to which many big tech CEOs and venture capitalists are being radicalized by living within their own cultural and social bubble.”

6 Likes

As someone who was there as it happened he gets a good old middle finger from me.

Halloween GIF

5 Likes

A speculative pharma lottery winner.

4 Likes

It’s a trend with all the Republican candidates. I’m not sure that 9-11 Twoofers are numerous in comparison to Pence’s Dominionists or DeSantis’ anti-woke warriors or Biff’s vast ecumenical army of nutters, but they all appeal to conspiracists.

5 Likes

I witnessed this lack of gorm firsthand in the ten years I spent in the mobile gaming industry. Those companies are obsessed with data because the margins are really thin. But at the end of the day, it’s all sort of a cargo cult. The data is super noisy, people are irrational, and tests are always inconclusive or within large error bars with shoddy statistics applied. All that means is managers end up making “gut feel” decisions anyway, but now they can go around proclaiming loudly that it’s a data driven process.

At the end of the day, it was the same as it ever was- some products get lucky and do well and nobody is ever totally sure why.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.