Bizzaro World feeling to see USA get exotified

Um, and he’s completely surrounded in Canadian paraphernalia. Not much detective work required there.

What for? I’ve never heard of an American being turned away for anything beyond not having a COVID vaccination or trying to bring in guns and refusing to leave them behind.

4 Likes

While we’re on the subject, a note for Americans- “Canadian bacon” is not a thing.

We have bacon that is the same as yours. We also have “back bacon” which is closer to a cut of ham that I think is what you all insist on calling “Canadian bacon”.

I can’t tell you how many Americans I’ve talked to who think Canada doesn’t have real bacon because they’ve seen “Canadian bacon” in the States and thought it was just ham and therefore Canadians think bacon is just ham.

magic the gathering table flip GIF

10 Likes

Some of that is awesome. Some of it is gross but still awesome. Of course the “American Sandwich” from France actually looked good. The raw beef thing from Belgium? sounds like something from Wisconsin… they should just call it cannibal sandwiches(I think that’s what they call em).

2 Likes

I have a misdemeanor conviction for a crime that (so they tell me) only exists as a felony in Canada so therefore I’m a felon even though I’m not. neat trick, and I really doubt their logic is even true, but my misdemeanor comes up when they run my ID and it’s something they can hang on me to make it look like they’re doing their job. and no, it’s not covid or gun related.

5 Likes

Canadians are American though. I was more confused about American stores in South America. Aren’t all the stores there American?

1 Like

I just bought marshmallow fluff for the first time in a decade… I made watermelon jam and thought using it in a pb&j would be weird… Then thought watermelon jam
& Fluff sounded like a good dessert.

4 Likes

caitlin-doughty-■■■■■

Um… that’s Pennsylvania Dutch, son! North of the Mason Dixon line (and one of the two states that GAVE us the M-D line).

I know this, because an old acquaintance of mine, film maker Joe Christ, who was from there (I think) had a dog named Scrapple. I promise that not all crap foods come from the south…

No, it’s just the secret invasion plan… Oh no, I’ve said too much!!!

Surprised Kids In The Hall GIF by CBC

10 Likes

I was just about to fight for PA’s claim on scrapple. You beat me to it, likely because all the scrapple has made me slow and logy.

6 Likes

As an Australian that’s had the misfortune to look at the Outback Steakhouse menu, yep. Don’t even know what this bullshit is meant to be based on.

8 Likes

7 Likes

“Australian” food/drink in the US seem to be extreme example of the phenomenon as it extends even to actual imports from Australia as well. I remember being at the liquor store with an Australian friend, looking at “Australian” beers, and him being very confused, wondering WTF the brands were, as he’d never previous seen a single one. (And since he’d both toured Australia in a band and worked there as a bar-tender, he knew his beers.) Given the Australian stereotypes in the labeling, they were either being made purely for the export market, or were given completely different names and labels for export.

The only thing I’ve seen labeled “Australian” that has even a vague connection are Trader Joe’s “Australian-style” cookies that are apparently sub-par rip-offs of Tim Tams.

8 Likes

Don’t go to France, Belgium or the Netherlands. They have filet américain there.

11 Likes

Joe Christ blesses you. So does scrapple… the puppers, that is.

6 Likes

Yeah, Scrapple was def not from DC, but we ate all kinds of weird shit like Scrapple, slaw-dogs (straight up cole slaw on a hot dog), and best foods mayo on corn on the cob. ^____^

Yeah, I feel you on that one, like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Like the Mexican Coke that is made purely for export to ‘Murica, because they’ve been using HFCS for years now, and only make old school shit for Muricans.

6 Likes

That is exotic, actually sounds intriguing, does it have a strong watermelon taste?

As children we, Brit army dependents in Germany, were sometimes allowed to visit a PX rather than the NAAFI. There were all kinds of products that we had never seen or tasted – grape jelly with peanut butter in stripes, over-sugared cereals, unchocolate chocolate and that marshmallow stuff. And cheap t-shirts.

This was before taking a holiday in the US came within the reach of many Europeans, and probably accounted for several people’s first contact with genuine American “cuisine” products.

7 Likes

The dumbest one is Fosters, which (the occasional failed relaunch for the nostalgia market aside) hasn’t been available domestically since the 90s. And God knows nobody’s importing the stuff.

9 Likes

I don’t know if you’re deliberately referencing this or not, but this is literally happening. “Cool ranch” Doritos are known as “cool American” in the rest of the world because people wouldn’t know what ranch is.

I have never had ranch dressing in my life, except in the form of Doritos dust, so there’s definitely something to that marketing strategy.

13 Likes

I was at a summer fair last week and they sold traditional American moonshine liquor in preserve containers. Was that also inauthentic?

5 Likes

As in, in mason jars?

That was one way that illegal moonshine used to be bottled. Now you can buy legal moonshine but it is marketed in mason jar type containers to evoke the original illegality of the product.

11 Likes

Indeed, like these, the liquor was brightly coloured.

3 Likes