Bizzaro World feeling to see USA get exotified

They’re called Cool Original in the UK, because we have to be awkward and needlessly do things differently here

13 Likes

Well since ranch dressing is a fairly recent American invention, so definitely reasonable.

I will admit to being curious when I see “Maryland chicken,” on menus.

6 Likes

Okay, well without knowing the details, nothing you’ve said there sounds illegitimate. You’re talking like it’s a personal vendetta of some sort, but it sounds like they are following procedure to me. I’m sorry this is happening to you but idiosyncrasies of the laws between the two countries are not the border agents’ fault.

It’s not a “neat trick”. The two legal systems are different and it’s not trivial to map one to the other. Canada does not have misdemeanours and felonies. We classify crimes as “summary”, “indictable”, and “hybrid”. Entry is based on a long specific list of crimes, but again, many in the hybrid category are context-dependent and border officers are not criminal lawyers so it’s not always easy for them to know, I’m sure.

Once the offence is ten years old, it will no longer apply to you with regard to border crossing.

Extending a vendetta to all Canadians, including a random YouTuber because you have a criminal record that keeps you out of the country seems a little harsh. If you want to judge a country by the border control policies, I can share some mighty ones for the US. US border control regularly subject me to Trumpian lectures, call me stupid for not finishing school, accuse me of being a communist for being Canadian, accused my girlfriend of being a hooker…. I could go on. That was just this year so far.

9 Likes

Perhaps “Cool American” would be seen as tacit approval of how well the former colonies are doing since independence /s

6 Likes

This Pennsylvania Dutchman thanks you.

This is also true. I can’t stand the stuff.

6 Likes

Down here in VA it’s called pon haus, still a Mennonite creation to waste nothing. And just as… “ethnic?”… as scrapple.

6 Likes

Dude, slaw dogs are the BOMB! I drool just thinking about them! (I do top the slaw with some mustard, but still a slaw dog)

7 Likes

But weren’t most those dishes invented by immigrants from those countries? I mean I go to an Indian or Mexican restaurant in the US and 95 out of 100 times the restaurant staff is from the country in question. So I get a laugh when people say that’s not real “Mexican/Chinese/Indian” food. I mean yes it’s typically what the immigrants from those countries could make with what they had access to and thought they could start a successful restaurant with but surely it’s inspired by their country of origin, no?

7 Likes

It tastes like watermelon. Bought a large watermelon cut it up… no way 3 of us could eat it so lots left over and I was like can I make jam out of this? Google didn’t disappoint. Required a fair amount of pectin, so it really seems like something between jam and jelly if you are the type of person to make that distinction.

6 Likes

"ranch hose optional but recommend "
see? American sauce!

3 Likes

Goober Grape! this is an American exoticism that I can get behind in that, like marshmallow fluff, it’s actually a thing that we make and can be bought at any supermarket, but most of us don’t. However I cannot get behind it in the sense that any sane adult should actually consume it. I thought I’d be smart and get a jar of it for a camping trip to avoid carrying the weight and space of two jars. the peanut butter was stiff even in the heat of a summer backpack and tasted like wallpaper paste. Smuckers is a jam company and does very well at it. they even make a really good natural peanut butter. But, as you can see by the label, this is a novelty marketed at kids with undefined palates. it sucks soooooo bad.
[“goobers” are a regionalism for peanuts in some parts of the south]

@LaHaine
I have seen legal shine in recent years but I highly doubt that the product compares to the illegal shine that I was able to get in the 90s. what I had tasted terrible and fucked me up to the point of insanity. but then again as long as the alcohol content is high enough… maybe?
edit: but yes, it was always in mason jars

4 Likes

That’s the stuff, I don’t remember ever getting it, the combination didn’t appeal even to our undefined palates – but we did scratch our heads at the exoticism.

3 Likes

I think you missed the part where I called myself petty for saying that because it was meant to be a lighthearted way of saying I was flawed for bringing it, up but thanks for low-key implying that I must be either a gun nut or anti -vax.

2 Likes

I was just thinking that I (or somebody actually entrepreneurial) could make money selling corn dogs here in the UK. I’ve never seen them here, but I bet they’d be a hit.

4 Likes

another funny thing here is that the original nacho Doritos are an American invention which exoticizes Mexican food. Nachos the dish do orignate in Mexico from a man named Ignacio or Nacho for short (which surprised me when I looked it up, I thought the whole idea was an American fabrication) but it was popularized to Americans when they were introduced to a fast-food version served at Texas Rangers baseball games: instead of fresh fried tortillas with delicious toppings and e.g. colby cheese melted over it, you got old chips from a bag with warm cheese sauce out of a can. the sauce became known as nacho cheese and led to the assumption that “nacho” was the flavor of the cheese. so when U.S. corporation Frito-Lay made the snack chips, they gave it a Spanish-sounding name and the cheese dust they coated them with was termed "nacho cheese, " even though that wasn’t strictly speaking a thing.

I like ranch dressing though I prefer oil and vinegar on salads but it’s great for crudité and good with hot wings if there’s no (or just awful, cheap) bleu cheese dressing, but ranch is the undisputed best flavor of Doritos imho.

5 Likes

I swear our @Flossaluzitarin wrote the OP on this one on one of their more lucid days.

9 Likes

I was on a cruise ship back in 2001, and the Spanish speaking couple by me wasn’t familiar with ketchup. The server called it “salsa Americana”. That really stuck with me.

When I was in Shanghai for work, there was a restaurant by my hotel called “Everyday USA”. It was kind of like a bootleg TGI Fridays with random bits of Americana festooned all over the walls. The menu had classic American food like hamburgers, mozzarella sticks, BLTs, and … quesadillas. I remember it all being surprisingly decent, if not way overpriced. (While most food in Shanghai was really inexpensive, western restaurants charged western prices. Something like a Coke was a luxury item, priced at around $6 a can.)

Funnily enough one of the best meals I had in Shanghai was at California Pizza Kitchen.

8 Likes

I’ve seen them on Korean street food stalls (which are becoming increasingly popular). I’ve never had
either American or Korean versions myself.

3 Likes

18visq

8 Likes

This history can’t be quite correct, because Doritos predate the Nacho Cheese flavour by almost ten years. The original Doritos were plain, and the first flavour was “Taco” based on that other great fauxthenticity of Mexican culture, American “taco spice”. Doritos periodically re-releases the original Taco flavour in vintage-styled bags, and I’m not gonna lie, they are damn good.

5 Likes