Black Lives Matter. Still

Nope. It does raise a question about those particular devices, though. Is finger position important for an accurate reading? When it comes to faucets, hand dryers, etc., if they don’t work the first time I just flip my hands over as a workaround. Now I’m wondering if something similar would work in this case, until they fix it. :thinking:

13 Likes

You’d have to ask someone more familiar with the tech on this thing. I am good on the interpreting the output (at least I thought I was) but the “how does this work?” My answer would be “magic.”

11 Likes

Good question! I made a pulse oximeter as my senior project in college. You may have a really good idea there! Pulse oximeters use differential absorption of two light wavelengths, while touch-free detectors use reflection of infrared single-wavelength light. It might be possible to rotate the finger-mounted sensor housing from the top-to-bottom orientation to a side-side orentation to bypass the more melanin-rich dorsal surface of the fingers.

11 Likes

I hope he sues over this bs:

Black Lives Matter Blm GIF by INTO ACTION

16 Likes

Angry Zach Galifianakis GIF by BasketsFX

11 Likes

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

10 Likes

I have a white F-150 with a black bedliner. Of course, I’m also a white guy, so that wouldn’t happen to me. Wonder what the difference is?

Sesame Street Mystery GIF by PBS KIDS

14 Likes

Wow.

18 Likes

You might enjoy the full story of the jazz tours!

12 Likes
14 Likes

I heard that this weekend and ended up adding it to an assignment for my class. I think my students will find it enlightening.

16 Likes
16 Likes

A fascinating read.
I wish them all the good luck in the universe stopping Formosa Plastics.

It can be done.
It can take a long time.

https://www.dianewilson.org/formosa-plastics/

(Looks like Wilson’s book is out of print.)

The people in Louisiana have been fighting, keeping the faith, and working the problem for a really long time.

13 Likes
15 Likes

Stand Your (White) Ground Laws

17 Likes

in the good and uplifting news department:

N.C. A&T is the largest HBCUs in the country, and it received one of the largest HBCU relief packages. In addition to paying off student debt and offering free summer classes, it gave free textbooks to all students, housing and dining discounts for residential students and free iPads for freshmen.

meanwhile, in the “how to completely avoid any mention of racism” department:

It’s also our job to help break down the stovepipes between and amongst the different agencies and really - a one-team, one-fight mission with helping get whatever resources are available on the federal level and to help them with technical expertise

ah yes. it’s bureaucracy and funding snafus that are to blame. of course!

16 Likes

Angry Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

9 Likes
15 Likes

It’s no surprise to anyone here that the Australian Football League has a problem with racism, but this is totally heartbreaking and appalling. I keep reminding myself that these players are usually 18-20 yo and often away from family connections for the first time.

For context, Hawthorn is one of the wealthier teams based in a wealthy part of Melbourne. Their president is a former conservative state premier and all-round blowhard scumbag.

14 Likes

40 years of cop raping Black women – one as young as 13 – with complaints being ignored by the department and prosecutors.

15 Likes