Blade Runner, 40 years old, "the greatest Sci-Fi of all time"

Compared to Deckard acting like a pimp’s murderous enforcer…

:woman_shrugging:t3:

At least Roy was trying to actively improve things for others.

7 Likes

The ‘sixth’ replicant is apparently just a continuity error in the editing of the film and gets corrected in Ridley Scott’s final cut version.

4 Likes

…or… we can just pretend it’s Deckard… :smirk:

7 Likes

… coming soon to Disney+

14 Likes

More fucking Clone Wars.

5 Likes

Ah boy… I’m just so tired of all these Clone Wars.

2 Likes

Just my 2 cents, but I’m finding that “slow parts” movies like Blade Runner lose quite a bit by being viewed on a small screen. They all have been visually designed to extend the ideas in the narrative … and unless you get silences and the big scale to just look at all the stuff on the screen, the whole thing becomes plodding.

I’m just workshopping this theory, lol … but to the extent that there’s any validity to it, it just means that slow, big movies are likely going extinct. I don’t really know if fast, noisy, blurry movies made so you can watch them on the back of an airline seat are an artistic improvement.

3 Likes

Can’t argue. I was pretty enamored with SCCtM when I was 7.

1 Like

Yea, but Roy was directly involved with the death of 26 people in the film, some of them quite possibly innocent. His hands aren’t free of blood, and I’m not really convinced of an altruistic nature of his actions.
There really are no heroes in this film, and that’s what makes it such good noir.

8 Likes

… and yet, after bombing in the theaters, it became popular and influential on that small screen as a rental video :thinking:

3 Likes

'Tis Film Noir, after all… Deckard is not a good guy, at least for most of the film. And it makes him a stronger character IMO.

3 Likes

Or Café Flesh!

3 Likes

This part. Climate change was known by the 70’s, Scott just extrapolated a year that turned out to be too close for comfort, but felt entirely plausible in the throws of the acid rain crisis.

@smulder: HBO. Watched the shit out of Blade Runner and Dune when they were in heavy rotation. And Night of the Comet, totally underrated film.

7 Likes

I wonder which version was on premium cable

Growing up in Stockton-on-Tees and Middlesbrough added to the plausibility. People from round there are still called Smoggies.

4 Likes

The one where Deckard narrates, but not the one with the “happy” ending.

2 Likes

Are you talking about the Director’s Cut? I’ve long wondered about that…

1 Like

It remains one of my favorite films, although my tolerance for noir and “life is all about shades of gray” and dystopia has gotten lower in recent years, so I don’t watch it very often anymore. Still, stylistically, thematically, it’s a great film.

Thank you for that. I appreciate when someone can help me interpret a piece through a different frame of reference. And you’re right, definitely still relevant under that viewpoint.

2 Likes

It and 2001 are my two favorite. The sequel also ranks really high for me.

2 Likes

Yeah. I can’t watch it. When the hero rapes someone it’s time to check out.

ETA
It sounds amazing too. RIP Vangelis.

1 Like