Blog of obscure Akira production art

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/04/blog-of-obscure-akira-producti.html

2 Likes

カネダ!

テツオ!

3 Likes

Definitely one of the greatest animated features ever made. The story falters a bit in some spots (though i still love it) but the animation is incredible. It easily holds up to stuff being made these days.

6 Likes

I prefer stories that take place at the edge of the woods

1 Like

You know it’s a fucking good sausage when even watching how it was made makes your mouth water.

2 Likes

Mushishi then? Main character Ginko does plenty of that.

If you haven’t seen it i recommend it. It’s slow paced but solid story telling.

1 Like

Does Ginko need a ride anywhere?

1 Like

Only if there’s ghosts.

1 Like

It’s okay; I understand you.

I brought corn!

1 Like

I’ll always have a special fondness for the dub I saw as a teen, but it wasn’t until the dvd rerelease with the new dub and the subtitles until I thought “Whoah, the story actually makes sense?!”

ETA: KAAAANNNEEEEEEDAAAAAA!

TETSUUUUUUOOOOOOOOO!

2 Likes

3 Likes

The story is really a very slimmed down mish-mash of the actual Manga’s story. I highly recommend reading it if you haven’t done so already. In the Manga, the story really just gets going at about the point it ends in the film, and the artwork is still one of my favourites of all Manga I have ever read (along with Osamu Tezuka’s work, which has a very different style).

2 Likes

I beg to differ. Even when I saw it the first time in the 80s, all I could think was that the story was just another teen motorcycle gang movie.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.