Boanthropy is a rare psychological disorder that causes a human being to believe they are a cow

Originally published at: Boanthropy is a rare psychological disorder that causes a human being to believe they are a cow | Boing Boing

6 Likes

albeit relatively few cows are seen to be wearing high heels … (“ey! what about us what are sure we’re pangolins?”)

13 Likes

This sort of thing makes me give psychology the side eye. Is the belief that you’re a cow really its own disorder? It’s a completely different disorder than thinking you’re, say, a cat or a chicken?

19 Likes

Well, I would, but we need the milk.

25 Likes

Did they put on a bell by Cowbastian Dior?

Edit: It’s a Revolutionary Girl Utena reference.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Before internet

31 Likes

I believe this runs in Devin Nunes’ family.

18 Likes

Boanthropy

Bad name for a vegan store.

5 Likes

28 Likes

Well, we all know where this leads.

15 Likes

giphy

29 Likes

I thought it leads to something more like this:

2 Likes

Yeah, I love that.

1 Like

Don’t have a cow, man.

4 Likes

I was left with the same question: Is there a different disorder for every animal in the barnyard? What about non-domesticated animals?

I must admit, I sometimes long for simpler times, and a day spent grazing would seem to fit the bill. For now, I get my fill online in the r/grazing community.

6 Likes

According to Persian traditions, the Buyid prince Majd al-Dawla was suffering from an illusion that he is a cow, making the sound of a cow and asking that to be killed so that his flesh could be consumed.

@GagHalfrunt

16 Likes

like lycanthropy?

*** ly·can·thro·py***

/līˈkanTHrəpē/

noun

1. the supernatural transformation of a person into a wolf, as recounted in folk tales.

ARCHAIC

a form of madness involving the delusion of being an animal, usually a wolf, with correspondingly altered behavior.

3 Likes

I’m guessing that specific disorders aren’t established or even posited until a ‘significant’ number of cases come up. Per below (as of 2013): Only 56 cases of clinical zoanthropy could be found in the international scientific literature.

And this, which mentions a couple of other disorders under zoanthropy:

3 Likes

I had a difficult time getting my cow to wear heels. The sows were no problem at all but for some reason they kept insisting on a supply of lipstick.

8 Likes