Boars, Gore, and Swords podcast recaps Game of Thrones S6E06, "Blood of My Blood"

[Read the post]

Itā€™s interesting to see the show cycle back and cover plot developments from the books that got skipped over earlier. The sudden appearance of ā€œColdhandsā€ (I knew it was Benjen, no matter what GRRM said) makes for a much more interesting plot development now that the kids actually need him.

2 Likes

But waitā€¦ didnā€™t he ride an elk and help Sam and Gilly to that tricky way under the wall? If my memory serves, Gilly and Sam need him then.

At this point the two stories have diverged enough for this just to be two interpretations of ā€œColdhandsā€. I still think that Book Coldhands is not Benjen, simply due to Leafā€™s ā€œthey killed him long agoā€ quote.

Iā€™m really curious to see where this whole High Sparrow plot is going. Iā€™m pretty sure Margarey is playing a dangerous but clever scheme to convince her doting and naive husband to embrace the Faith to get the High Sparrow to let his guard down.

3 Likes

Makes perfect sense to me. Sheā€™s like a younger Cersei. No way sheā€™s gone from careful schemer to demure penitent during a few months of captivity. If anything, it would make her more wily and determined for revenge.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s hoping, Iā€™m more ā€˜cliff hungā€™ over this than anything else.

Yeah, but smarter, and not mean spirited (?). Sheā€™s more like a young Olenna.

2 Likes

In addition to any internal evidence, his editor asked him point blank in the margin of the manuscript and his answer seems pretty clear.

That would be a really strange place to lie about that. Of course thatā€™s only for the books. I can see why they would merge the characters on the show, especially if we never find out what happened to Benjen MacGuffin Stark in the books.

1 Like

Which would make sense!

Iā€™ve decided that Branā€™s already/going to have been responsible for everything bad that will happen/has happened in the past because heā€™s an undisciplined idiot. Weā€™re just lucky the mad king was killed by Jamie before he went from ā€œBurn them all!ā€ to being ā€˜King Ballā€™

Also, GoT takes place in the present dayā€¦in the wreckage of the Forest Moon of Endor. The Children of the Forest are, of course, Ewoks (itā€™s no longer a long, long time ago after all. Theyā€™ve had tens of millions of years to evolve.) and they chose to make the white walkers in the image of the white-clad invaders that ended up completely trashing their planet when the wreckage of the Death Star completely destroyed their ecosystem.

Ewoks evolved razors and platform feet.

1 Like

Yeah, it took them longer than it took usā€¦but Iā€™m sure they had a completely different set of evolutionary pressures. We really donā€™t know what sort of climate effects the Endor Holocaust had.

At least now we know why there are dragons!

(okay, this is starting to work a bit too well)

Sorry, GRRM lost his vote once he allowed the TV series to overtake the novels. All available canon says Benjen is Coldhands. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

My girlfriend tells me that Coldhands has gear that the Nightā€™s Watch hasnā€™t used for centuries, which also supports not Benjen.

But hey book Coldhands got to meet Hodor and Jojen, so maybe reanimated Benjen will waltz into the plot in Winds of Winter. Maybe.

1 Like

Itā€™s like GRRM open-sourced his code and the TV show is just a fork of the books, isnā€™t it?

Iā€™m actually excited for wildly divergent denouements, resolutions and endings, or lack thereof, between the books and the show.

Iā€™ve also been hoping for a spin-off series that only focuses on the Brave Companions, as they were all neatly written out except for Qyburn. Iā€™m full of GoT opinions and can speak on them for hours.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.