Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone," new music video

Hippy wigs. Woolworths.

Huh. I was flipping through this, and came across the “History Channel” as the refrain came around the second time. They had a black and white video of an urban scene - Times Square, I think - with"How Does It Feel" edited onto a billboard. There’s lots of interesting editing going on with this thing, I’ll give them that.

I don’t believe you. You’re a liar.

1 Like

This is just fantastic. And I agree, it is irony in its purest sense. Knowing what the song meant decades ago, the anger and the potential revolution it symbolized, and mixing it with nowadays TV imagery, the idea of perverting dreams - it is like saying: the American Dream could have been this song, instead of all these idiotic TV shows. And at the same time, in all its ambiguity, it’s like declaring: we could all still be saying these exact words, if we only dared. And it gives you the power to change a channel, to edit the clip as you go on, discovering different metaphoric meanings as you progress… an absolute masterpiece.

2 Likes

Why this Interactive Video is not being seen as an advertisement by Sony is interesting. I suggest reading the credits. It is nothing more than a clever flash advertisement. I’ll give it points for design, script, and clever VFx. All the buttons execute the intended functions and dare you to click HD full screen. My 27" iMac running Safari 5 got hiccups.

Neat!

Good songs, books, poems, movies, whatever we make that gets remembered can change context over time or even in a short time. What this song meant to my parents, what it means to me now and what it might mean to people a few decades younger than me might all be different.

Mind you this comes a couple hours after walking down Center Gai in Shibuya hearing some store blasting out The Sound of Silence. To quote the Now and Zen Baby Cradle and Swing box: “nothing is exactly as it seems nor is it otherwise”.

Play f***ing loud.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.