Boba Fett's 5th episode has me worried about 'Obi-Wan Kenobi'

Complete with the gratuitous supercharger sticking out of the front hood (super-useful in the vacuum of space, I’m sure).

ETA: I will be totally stoked if the next episode reveals that Mando’s new horn plays “La Cucaracha.”

9 Likes

Some things are best left to our imagination. Although there are fan versions of what Jawas look like under their hoods, I like a little mystery.

3 Likes

It would be fun if subsequent characters all gave contradictory explanations for what Jawas look like.

• “I dated a Jawa once, they’re very furry”
  • “I saw one taking a dust bath and he was covered head to toe in colorful feathers”
  • “They’re short-statured, mummified droids”
  • “They look kind of like Sophia Loren circa 1962, but way hotter. They have to wear the robes so other species won’t be constantly hitting on them when they’re trying to make a business transaction”
  • “Each ‘Jawa’ is actually a family of sand-weasels standing on each others’ shoulders underneath a robe”
11 Likes

Hirsute and that voice? I think our Venn diagram overlaps to a definitive answer.

8 Likes

One of the reasons Mando’s story was fun is that we didn’t know where it was going. Every episode was a new adventure, and we didn’t know what kind of character he’d turn out to be by the end of the journey. It was a prequel of sorts since it took place before the new trilogy, but it was a prequel involving characters whose later exploits we knew nothing about so the storytelling possibilities were left wide open.

The Book of Boba Fett feels anticlimactic in part because most of the show is told in flashback, padding out a story whose broad outlines are already knew by the time the series started. The few parts that aren’t shown in flashback mostly just serve to show what a naive rube Boba is for claiming the top spot in a crime organization before accumulating either allies or even a basic understanding of how the organization worked.

Obi-Wan Kenobi seems likely to fall into a similar trap because we already know both where he came from and where he’s going. At best we can expect him to do some mildly interesting side quests while he’s waiting for baby Luke to grow up.

6 Likes

Come now, surely the show will also introduce us to all sorts of characters in these side quests that will have “seismic implications” for future SW properties.

2 Likes

I couldn’t care less about Boba’s story.

Danny Trejo the rancor-keeper, though? THAT’S a spinoff series I want to see.

8 Likes

A different access has reportedly been cast for the Ahsoka Tano show that’s upcoming. Natasha Liu Bordizzo, I dunno that the role is officially confimed. But Bordizzo’s casting is, and it seems to have leaked multiple places pretty much immediately.

The Armorer is played by Emily Swallow, who is both too old and too white to play Sabine.

I think the Armorer is just the Armorer, and not meant to be a tease for a known character. At least I hope so, it’d be kinda boring otherwise.

More of a tease for Mandalorian season 3. Which is a bit of problem. It’s making Fett look like a bunch of padding packed around a promo.

5 Likes

Next season’s Mandalorian owes us one Boba Fett centric episode!

I enjoyed the episode, though it was a Mandalorian episode shoehorned in! It was great to see Peli again. For prequel fans, the reuse of the Naboo star fighter I am sure had them excited. It IS impractical for his uses. I guess the droid bay could house one bounty. Or maybe he can get a new, larger ship to launch his fighter from, like the Bebop.

The problem Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi is: we have higher expectations and personal head canon and personal desires on what we want. So I feel like no matter what happens, it will come up short for some people. The Mandalorian was a complete unknown and we all discovered and followed him together. No expectations, just

I’ve still enjoyed the Book of Boba Fett, but so far have to give it mostly a B grade, with the Mandalorian being mostly an A grade. But still better than average and I like them much more than any of the Disney run movies. (Rogue One possible exception). Not that that is saying much.

I do like how they are continuing to link events in The Clone Wars and Rebels animated series. Part of me wants to re-watch them, even though that would be a task! And I was pointing at the ship doo-dad that looked like the metal pole used in the trash compactor scene. It sounds like stealing from the Pykes might get him on their bad side even with out Fett’s help.

2 Likes

But the Armorer was clearly a member of Death Watch or something similar, and Sabine never adhered to the notion that one had never remove their helmet. I suppose it IS possible she got older and crazier and joined the more fundamentalists group.

2 Likes

Disagree. We already had one of those in season 2. (Episode 14)

The way he filled out that armor reminded me of that old teaser for The Incredibles where Mr Incredible is trying to put on his uniform for the first time in years. Not that having a dad bod is anything to be ashamed of.

4 Likes

they’ve established that all he needs is the head, so that will fit in the droid bubble nicely. “i can bring you in in BIG pieces, or i can bring you in in SMALL pieces.”

besides, they seem to be setting him up to be getting out of the bounty business. he’s going to learn to use the Darksaber and will lead the Mandolorians in taking back their planet. then he and Grogu are going to blast off into the sunset, headed for a new life together.

3 Likes

Sabine’s clan was somewhat independent of the Vizlas and Deathwatch but BoKatan was part of deathwatch and still removed her helmet before and after the fall of Mandalore. The whole helmet thing is oddly contrived. Concordia was the Deathwatch moon, were they the Concordian LIBERALS? We certainly see their faces.

Surely that would vary from bounty to bounty though? When he was sent to collect Baby Yoda the client specified they’d prefer the specimen alive, but proof of termination would have still earned him a reduced reward.

1 Like

fair point.

1 Like

There’s a line in the episode from the armorer about their “sect” being “cloistered” and it letting them survive the still not quite explained purge.

They seem to be setting up that the group we’re watching is some subset with more extreme/different practices that survived or came out of that disaster they haven’t dug into yet.

2 Likes

Lots of fun stuff happens in the episode, like Mando getting a new ship that makes zero sense in his line of work.

“The subject is…the mystery car…which even as we speak darkens our domain under a moldy tarp. You do know the car of which I speak? Let me refresh your memory…cast your mind back. It’s a crisp September morning. You borrowed $200 from me to purchase the car, mainly because your girlfriend Beth said it was…I believe the term was, ‘tasty’.”

7 Likes

I think she said they were cloistered on Concordia, which suggests “Deathwatch” but it could be they are Deathwatch’s super Orthodox splinter sect from the Valley.

3 Likes

Being a orthodox splinter of Death watch also makes sense if you consider that the French version of the Mandalorian calls the “Children of the Watch” “Les Héritiers de la Death Watch” aka “The Heirs of the Death Watch”.

Source:

I’m also curious if the Armourer has any link to Maul…

2 Likes

I dunno… those were a team up where it was pretty 50/50. This episode had Fett in the beginning and that’s it. I guess it explained what he was up to after Grogu went off to school.

Good point. Maybe there was always an ultra fundamentalist group that was a sect of Death Watch on the moon and the bombardment of Mandalore left them going, “See! See! We were right! This is the way!”

I don’t think it could be a recent tradition that was adopted or re-adopted based on how fervent they are, and the fact that was the case back when Din was a foundling? I don’t think the time line would line up for it to be adopted post bombardment, but maybe?