Boba Fett's 5th episode has me worried about 'Obi-Wan Kenobi'

When Fett comes upon the destroyed Sandpeople encampment, I thought: of course they are all dead. The plot appropriated everything and now they are useless. They needed Fett to acquire the cool Sandpeople club and hoodie and they got it. Any further development, and the writers would have to actually figure out what this superficially depicted ethnicity is. It would have to stop relying on Arab and Native American tropes and actually create. But, nah, thats too much work: script a massacre instead. Plus, now we have the vengeance trope and Fett can morally murder as many [non-Tuscan] raiders as he wants.

3 Likes
2 Likes

It was more of an orbital (Ian Banks style) than an actual ringworld right?

1 Like

Given the visible curve, almost certainly. I wasn’t going to quibble at the time, though.

For the story and character development, he also got the element of being stronger in a “tribe”.

As a loner through most of his life, the 4+ years with the Tuskens seemed to have altered his perception of the value of others. Hence he spared and allied with several characters that he would have just blasted in the past.

The flashbacks seemed to have a better, cohesive narrative. I hate the desert as a location, but what are you going to do, being on Tatooine and all.

ETA:

I think this depends on when someone saw the film. The first new shot of the Enterprise since it went off TV in 1969 and you have been waiting 10 years for this moment? You drank in every second of the shot.

If you grew up with Star Trek already having multiple movies and/or TV shows and spin offs - “Ho hum, it is another space ship. You guys act like you’ve never seen the Enterprise before. Can we move along please?”

1 Like

This was just awful. I think a lot of people most felt the story was authentic with the Tuscans. Sometime just before they slaughter them all, I had hoped the tedious flashbacks just kept going and we got years of him maturing and building a global Tuscan alliance that would permit his planet wide crime empire dream. Instead he got a stick.

3 Likes

And a nose lizard, but it turned out that was just a loaner.

3 Likes

Such a great scene. That is one thing I love about LD. They manage to poke fun of and show respect in the same scene.

1 Like

Just shot my Whiskey out’a my nose. Good one :point_up:

1 Like

I’ve been enjoying BoBF, though it wasn’t at all what I was expecting. After watching episode 5, it makes me appreciate it more. Din Djarin and Boba Fett are in many way the same person at different parts of their lives. Djarin is at the peak of his bounty hunting career, while Fett is tired of this shit, and wants something else, more stable, more fulfilling.

Its almost a sly commentary on the gig economy, though I don’t know if the writers intended to make this social commentary in the show.

The two shows counterbalance each other: the Mandalorian’s Djarin is a young Boba Fett with the chance to change his destiny through a personal family with Grogu, while Book of Fett is Boba Fett trying to create the “family” life he never knew he wanted until he was adopted by the Tusken.

Definitely not what I was expecting when either series started, but the galaxy is enormous, and there are a lot of different stories to tell.

2 Likes

Do you mean that metaphorically? Chronologically they are close in age.

Yes, metaphorically.

Actually, I forgot (or never pieces it together) that they are close in age. For some reason Djarin just struck me as younger than Fett, but now, of course, they are probably within 10 years of each other.

So still at different points in their careers, but not that far separated in time.

1 Like

I was actually curious. Wookipedia says Boba was born in 32BBY, Djarin sometime before 19BBY. So Boba is pushin 40 and Djarin in his late 20s to early 30s.So possibly not as close as I originally thought.

2 Likes

Space doesn’t seem to be a vacuum in Star Wars

Boba looks kinda rough for 40 (Temura Morrison is 61 in real life) but given how many years Obi-Wan put on between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope I guess people age fast on Tatooine. Those twin suns must be murder on the skin.

ETA: Also, why is he perpetually bald and clean-shaven? We know he once had hair and we also know that the rest of the clones can grow facial hair. It seems unlikely that his Tusken captors provided him with a shaving kit. Did he have his face and head permanently depilated at some point so his whiskers wouldn’t scratch the inside of his helmet?

2 Likes

Boba was an unaltered clone, but what if cloning isn’t a perfect technology and they still age faster, just not as fast as the clones engineered to get up to fighting age in record time?

I wanna see the opening shot of the ObiWan show to be a flashback to Ep3 with him dropping of Luke to then a title card of “three weeks later” and we see Ewan all old and sand blasted now.

3 Likes

Season 8 Wait GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

2 Likes

he stumbles out of the Mos Eisley cantina and says “Now where did I leave that droid???!”

2 Likes

I’m still enjoying it.

1 Like