"Bored" security guard fixes $1m painting so its faceless characters have eyes

Originally published at: "Bored" security guard fixes $1m painting so its faceless characters have eyes | Boing Boing

8 Likes

43 Likes

21 Likes
10 Likes

9 Likes

Yeah, it changes everything:

eyes1

Sometimes quite drastically:

44 Likes

Good thing nobody put teeth for eyes on it.

16 Likes

18 Likes

oddly, i like the painting BETTER with eyes…

also - thanks for the googly eyes posts - cant ever have too many googly eyes
they DO make everything better

12 Likes

i actually think it’s a tasteful addition, too. but altering works of art in a gallery is just not cool.

12 Likes

Banksy had the courtesy to not do his version on the original painting

14 Likes

I’d like to party with that Dude.

4 Likes

I must say, @beschizza, interesting choice of words to put quotes around… I have such a clear image of the type of guy who defaces a valuable artwork on his first day on the job.

4 Likes

I will confess, and I think the statute of limitations has passed, that I ‘improved’ several identical paintings in a budget motel that my job put me in repeatedly in the nineties.
Each room had an identical original painting of a sailing ship in an ocean landscape (like Bob Ross). I added a ballpoint pen skull and crossbones to the mainsail on each that I visited on business trips over several years.
Unfortunately, I never got to stay again in a room that had my modification on the painting. It was a pretty big motel.

17 Likes

As a kid, I was so creeped out by a faceless doll I was given (It was Amish-made, and they don’t depict faces) that I drew a face on it with markers.

10 Likes

The good news is - that should be removable.

When I worked at an art museum, we had to walk through every night looking for damages like that.

8 Likes

14 Likes

12 Likes

b67e59892b6b758366d2860dc98a6935f49f407fjpeg_phixr

15 Likes

Ooh, ballpoint pen; that’s going to be a right git to get out.

@mr_raccoon I disagree with Savannah Police; that is clearly, very much, a laughing matter. :joy::joy::joy:

13 Likes