Boris Johnson, British Prime Minister, hospitalized with "persistent" coronavirus symptoms

St Thomas’ does have private hospital facilities (although they are not accepting private patients), I suspect if you are suffering from Covid-19 symptoms then having Johnson in the next bed chuntering away all day would be the last thing you would want.

Dyson already has a knighthood.

The pair of them are hypocrites and not deserving of our sympathies any more than anyone else.

I don’t think that is an option, one of my, now-quarantined, neighbours said she was taking all possible measures, strictly self-isolating, no visitors for over two weeks before she came down with a dry cough and high temperature.

6 Likes

Aside from the fact that the best hospitals are NHS hospitals, politicians don’t like to be seen using private healthcare even at the best of times. But NHS hospitals do have private rooms, and I would guess there is a certain unacknowledged VIP capacity for celebs at St Thomas’s / St Mary’s / etc.

Personally, I’m sorry to hear he’s sick, but only because this will make people focus even more on kayfabe, moralizing and narrative instead of pragmatism, cooperation and data.

2 Likes

Oh God, Thickie Raab is going to end up running the country, isn’t he.

3 Likes

I tried to find out a bit more when I wrote my original post, but did not find anything helpful. NHS hospitals have private rooms that they lease to private firms, and vice-versa.

Now that one is my fault: I didn’t even think of checking that, but of course he does. I am sure the Old Boy network can find something he will appreciate, though.

1 Like

The hair is an affectation, like the name, to make Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson more “relatable”

2 Likes

Peerage, then.

3 Likes

More proof that politics sucks.

7 Likes

Or blows.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif (2)

7 Likes

Lord Airblade has a ring to it.

He has made all the right noises to be put on an Honours List sometime soon, hypocrisy pays off.

2 Likes

He’s such an aficionado of classical history. Maybe this can be his Pericles moment.

3 Likes

Baron iMac, but for White Goods is I think what is mooted.

You might be mistaking Jony Ive for James Dyson (vacuum cleaners, hand dryers etc., etc.).

1 Like

It’s also not at all uncommon for NHS patients to be put in one of these private rooms if there is space there and not in an NHS ward.

1 Like

Exactly one post-war PM has gone by his full name in public life. Six out of fifteen have used a middle name as their first name (the most recent before BoJo being James Gordon Brown).

21 Likes

That makes it false?
Five of those fifteen also went to Eton.
Eleven of those fifteen went to Oxford.
Two of them are in this picture.

It’s not surprising they have similar tactics for “Relatability” - Alex’s adds deliberately messy hair to the mix.

5 Likes

Can we make you moderator of the world? You have my vote.

8 Likes

…he will be in a private hospital. Though that will be a ‘scandal’ when it is found out. Notably, No 10 is not saying where he was admitted.

Maybe not, if they were NHS. They would if they were private and charging.

ETA and I see @Richard_Kirk beat me to it - but Dyson already has his knighthood (for services to Brexit?)

FETA I see that they now say he is in St Thomas’. They were deliberately vague on that at first.

1 Like

Yes - see how relatively neat it is in that picture.

ETA and who is the shameful poor twat who has done so little of note since then that he doesn’t even get a number, in that photo? :wink:

1 Like

From the original (B/W) photo -
(1) the Hon. Edward Sebastian Grigg, the heir to Baron Altrincham of Tormarton and current chairman of Credit Suisse (UK)

(2) David Cameron

(3) Ralph Perry Robinson, a former child actor, designer, furniture-maker

(4) Ewen Fergusson, son of the British ambassador to France, Sir Ewen Fergusson and now at City law firm Herbert Smith

(5) Matthew Benson, the heir to the Earldom of Wemyss and March

(6) Sebastian James, the son of Lord Northbourne, a major landowner in Kent

(7) Jonathan Ford, the-then president of the club, a banker with Morgan Grenfell

(8) Boris Johnson, the-then president of the Oxford Union, now Lord Mayor of London

9) Harry Eastwood, the investment fund consultant

There is a later one - filled with the same kind of chaps.

(1) George Osborne, now the Shadow Chancellor;

(2) writer Harry Mount, the heir to the Baronetcy of Wasing and Mr. Cameron’s cousin;

(3) Chris Coleridge, the descendant of Samuel Taylor Coleridge, the son of Lloyds’ chairman David Coleridge, the brother of Conde Nast managing director Nicholas Coleridge

(4) German aristocrat and managing consultant Baron Lupus von Maltzahn,

(5) the late Mark Petre, the heir to the Barony of Petre;

(6) Australian millionaire Peter Holmes a Cour;

(7) Nat Rothschild, the heir to the Barons Rothschilds and co-founder of a racy student paper with Harry Mount

(8) Jason Gissing, the chairman of Ocado supermarkets.

Two figures on left of (6) and (7) were blacked out before the photo was released, causing wild allegations. Their identities are yet unknown. My top contenders (based on the influence in the City, the Athenaeum and their Oxford prominence) include:

(1) the Hon. Michael Gove, Shadow Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families, former president of the Oxford Union and “one-man think-tank”

(2) the Hon. Adam Bruce, the son of the Earl of Elgin and incumbent Unicorn Pursuivant of Arms

(3) the Hon. Edward Vaizey, the son of Lord Vaizey and the Shadow Minister for Culture

(4) the founder of Think Tank Policy Exchange, and conservative activist Nicholas Boles

(5) Steven Hilton, the director of strategy for Cameron and godfather of Cameron’s children

2 Likes